what is coroline algae? and is it good?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

billaweed

Stumped Irishman
I was wondering if coroline algae was good and what it came from. I hear alot of people talkng about it but no one has told me what it comes from and whether or not it was good to have..

what are the benifits of having it and what does it come from?

just wondering

It's an encrusting algae that will adhere to your glass, live rock and equipment over time. Some people don't like, most love it. It'll help in reducing nitrates. It is also very natural looking in it's hues of pinks, purples and even greens. It is a hard algae and will need to be scraped from the front glass or any other areas you don't want it. It needs higher calcium levels to grow. Some people wonder why they don't have it in their newly set up tanks and then after time, it starts growing....and doesn't stop...lol. Sometimes it can take up to 6-8 months to really notice it growing. Keeping your Ca and Alk levels up with definitely help it along. As for Where it comes from? You need to already have spores of it in your tank for it to grow. If you don't have any spores, you can do everything there is to get it to grow and it won't. You normally get spores from live rock that you've put in your tank. If you don't have any, it's possible to get it from other reefers. Reefers are always needing to scrape it off their glass. It's not difficult to syphon the scrapings as they're removed. Then you can just put it in your tank and let it settle. You can also find pieces of live rock that have coraline growing on them. Putting these in your tank will seed it's growth.

As for it's benefits, I'm sure others that are much more knowing that I am will chime in soon.

Coraline is the most amazing part of having a reef. I just wish it stayed to the rock. lol.
-Alison

LOL yeah, scraping it off the glass can become a pain. And the older and more established the tank, the more often you scrape!!! I love the look of it covering the back glass...it's the rest of it that's a pain. Although in my 46, I've let it cover the sides as well since one side is against a wall and the other side is against our entertainment center...not much viewing through the sides...lol.

Here is a pic if you dont clean your glass off...Some people love it others dont you choose :)

hey brady.. do you have the 216 watt Nova Extreme T-5 HO with 2 actinic, 2 daylight, and 4 lunar lights? Cause thats what I got on my tank right now and was just wondering how you liked it now since youve had them for a while.

Billaweed i like them no complaints from me. The only bad thing about them is you cant keep some corals other than that im happy with the lights.

Back