What is it.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ricksoundman

I have a purplish colored mass on one of my rocks, It looks almost gelitin like in consistancy. Its been developing now for about a week and is about 4 to 5 inches in diamiter.
any thoughts or imput would be appriciated.

PICs would help out. It could be turnicate's, it could be sponge, or it could be red slime. A picture would help out alot.

purple stuff

PICs would help out. It could be turnicate's, it could be sponge, or it could be red slime. A picture would help out alot.

I haven't quite figured out how to do that. picyures that is, but red slime sounds about right from the way it looks.

does it "swoosh" away if you wave your hand over it and is it near gone in the morning and after the lights have been on for the day it seam to be way bigger?

Is it circular or irregular? Are there other areas in the tank with it growing? Is it flat or growing in height as well as diameter?

try keeping few slugs ...they will be usefull for this ...

actully every lot of live rocks comes to dealers ..are pretty same

evry tank got different live rocks

different thing grow on different live rocks

same things grows on same lot

your rocks must be 2 years old to grow shuch a thing

cyno grows on new things

algae grows on new things

old and stable rocks grow plants ...

must be a algae plant of some kind

try using strontium to bost it

Do not use strontium to "Bost" it. If it is indeed red slime try water changes and more flow in that area. Cut back on the feedings and check your water parameters religiously. This stuff will spread and kill off corals if you let it go, or if you "BOST" it.

does it "swoosh" away if you wave your hand over it and is it near gone in the morning and after the lights have been on for the day it seam to be way bigger?

Yes I checked this morning and it had decreased in size cosiderably. and yes there is smaller patches in a couple of other areas. one inpaticular is a small spot in the sand, and it was gone this morning.

Back