What is ORP?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Angelscrx

Import Fish
I am seeing ORP monitors while I am looking for a good PH monitor but don't know what ORP is? Is it Ozone related? Thanks

OK folks I will be back in a couple of weeks once I read all the information posted. Thanks a million but I think I have a general idea and a better understanding. Thanks again for the help.

Wow that is some sweet but possibly dangerous stuff. I like the idea of cleaner water though. Thanks for the great reading materials.

Well my personal opinion is tainted. I think it is junk. One I hate those thumb roll switches, got the hell shocked out of me by one. Two they say it will protect you from radiation from you tv and microwave?????????? Three its great for keeping pickles from bloating from bacteria???????? Four it doesnt have a air dryer and boomer says no air dryer= bromine bleach in the tank. Plus its not for fish tanks. and they want 24.95 to ship a item that weighs 500 grams from SHANGHI. Not something I would buy.
Steve

OK thanks guys, I can definitely understand what you guys are saying. I appreciate your honesty and candidness :)

Is there a specific unit you guys recommend? My tank is a 150g with a 55g sump and like I have seen folks talk about this I don't want a whole lot of this stuff in my tank just in case. Thanks

Four it doesnt have a air dryer and boomer says no air dryer= bromine bleach in the tank

Not even :) Nitric acid. No carbon = bromine bleach

Angel,
I have spent some time researching this as well. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather spend the money on dual UV units than run the risk of a 03 controller failing and killing off my tank. (Picture the mess I would have). The whole point of using ozone is the killing of suspended bacteria and stuff in the water column. If this can be achieved without the use of something as lethal as ozone then I'm all for it.
That being said, others have used ozone with great success and swear by it. But I have to ask myself, will my corals be heathier and grow better with ozone? I think not.

The whole point of using ozone is the killing of suspended bacteria and stuff in the water column. If this can be achieved without the use of something as lethal as ozone then I'm all for it.

The use of ozone has nothing to do with this at all. First, the concentration is not high enough, second its only purpose it to oxidize organics. It has some side benefits, such as allowing for better light penetration and if adjusted right increases skimming. With all that being said, a well run reef tank does not need it as the purpose to raise the ORP to 350-400 mV and many well run reef tanks achieve that.

But I have to ask myself, will my corals be heathier and grow better with ozone? I think not.

Most will tell you yes. UV is mostly a waste of money. I do not know of anyone in 30 years that has wiped out a reef tank/tank with ozone due to a failed controller. An ozonizer has a dial on it that can control the amount of zone it puts out also. With the output set right you would never reach dangerous levels. If it is one of those without a dial I would not buy such a unit.

Angel

The one you posted NO, it has a range 200-300 mg which is way to high. The link WD sent you to is Ok, the Poseidon, with a set-point range of 0 - 200 mg . Or a Sander Model 50 or 100, which have a full range of 5- 50 or 10-100. You do not need a unit any bigger than 50 mg. A 50 mg unit is good for a tank with a net water vol. of 130 gals.

Thanks Les and Boomer, I appreciate hearing both sides. AS always it is something to think about. Great information folks.

Back