What is ozone in aqurium tanks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ozone is used as a water purifier by injecting it into your skimmer typically. It's a radical oxidizer that pretty much burns up anything organic from tbe water column. It's a great tool for the advanced reefkeeper, you can find more info in the 'Advanced Topics' forum here. I've been using it on my system for past six months and very pleased with outcome. Once again a advanced application with high risk if not properly set up and understood.

Cheers, Todd

+1 basically taking 02(oxygen) and turning into 03. It takes some knowledge and some spendy equipment to do.

Not quite so spendy anymore. But can be catastrophic. Ozone is what protects the earth from the sun. Very highly effective purifier. Cristal clean water when used right. Dead tank if not. It also degrades the life of your equipment that it touches. If you use it in a skimmer then the life if the plastic is reduced. If you are on a tight budget then I wouldn't. I am and so I got rid of the one I had. If you get too much in the house then you could become sick or worse. It takes 25 ppm in breathing air to kill a full grown adult in 1 hour. California has warnings for levels of o3.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with all except will add that water changes can accomplish "most" of the same thing. I have been using ozone for years, but mostly due to mixing the wrong species together and overstocked tank with insufficient water changes. If I had the time and energy, would prefer not needing to use it and recommend it to VERY few and only to the VERY experienced.

ozone is not that hard to figure out...
just dont EVER use it without a ORP controller.

and if you cant afford $300-500 for a fancy ozone reactor,
then get someone's old POS berlin/top fathom skimmer and use that instead of screwing up a nice skimmer.

but should you be doing ozone?? IMO it provides nothing that good maintenance habits and high quality carbon cant provide...
so get off your butt, clean your tank and change your carbon.

Last edited:
Back