What is the best of the affordable electronic salinity meters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

Is this an oxymoron..."affordable" and high-accuracy electronic salinity meters?

Does anyone in the area own one and what are your thoughts? I am beginning to think that the slope on my refractometer is faulty somehow, so that it's not possible to calibrate it correctly for seawater. I won't bore you with the details.

I would like feedback on a good salinity meter, as well as any volunteers in the area that I might send a SW sample to for testing.

Is this an oxymoron..."affordable" and high-accuracy electronic salinity meters?

Does anyone in the area own one and what are your thoughts? I am beginning to think that the slope on my refractometer is faulty somehow, so that it's not possible to calibrate it correctly for seawater. I won't bore you with the details.

I would like feedback on a good salinity meter, as well as any volunteers in the area that I might send a SW sample to for testing.

Have a list sorted by most expensive first and downward. They all work well enough

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__salini...3A1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ16QQ_scZ1

And here is a list of some shops who carry all types and prices:
http://www.nextag.com/salinity-meter/compare-html

Last edited:
Jan,

what is wrong with the basic refractometer that can be calibrated by RO water??

I would think more could go wrong with an electronic one..

Kirk, I am suspicious that my particular refractometer (I got it second hand), can be calibrated to read a sample at a certain point, but when presented with a different SW sample at a higher (or lower) salinity, it may not be reading it correctly...due to a possible abberation in the slope. Or perhaps my refractometer was designed for use measuring salt water as opposed to seawater...I don't know for sure but I am trying to resolve the problem.

well, to save your sanity, i wouldn't mind testing your water with my refractometer..at this will give you a baseline to start from...

let me know.

thanks for the offer, Kirk. I just ordered a new refractometer today. Until it arrives, I have a Tropic Marin floating hydrometer I can use. So I'll be okay. I refuse to make this funky refactometer make me crazy. :)

i know what you mean..
i just ordered a new TDS meter (HM TDS3), should arrive late this week.

Back