What is this and how do I kill it...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KRMNAL1

This stuff is growiing kind of like Ivy or ground cover it has long stems with leaves and it's only on one rock so far. My camera is only 3.2mp so the picture is as good as I can get it

6163fc58.jpg

looks like bubble alge. does it have different sized dark green bubbles on it? if it is dont disturb it because if you break the bubbles or any of it floats off it will start in another place. I always try to remove and quarintine those rocks/ scrub outside the tank or let dry out if possible/ not really live rock after that though. it is hard to kill. hard to be sure that is what it is by the pic though could be harmless cheato

wrightme43 said:
Looks like Calupera to me. Does it have runner stalks with bubbles like a pod of grapes?

it has runner stalks but they're doesn't appear to be any bubbles likes grapes just what appear to be leafs

It definetly isn't bubble algae, I have plenty of those also

caluerpa. but not the grape kind. pull it out as much as you can. you might have to take rock out and scrub it.

Last edited:
If you have corals with calupera it is best in my experince to remove the rock, to waterchange dirty water, then pull and scrub off as much as you can, slosh the rock around, then put it back. That stuff can CAN is not definitely going to but CAN hurt corals.

bradreef said:
caluerpa. but not the grape kind. pull it out as much as you can. you might have to take rock out and scrub it.

I pulled it off as best I could a week and a half ago and it grew back 2 times as fast, I have had nothing but trouble with this piece of rock and I feel like just putting it in a pot of boiling water :badgrin: it has massive bristle worms and was the start of my bubble algae, if I do boil it would I be able to put it back as if nothing happened ?? I also have small mounds of grassy stuff that I thought was Caluerpa, it is green with silvery blue strands in it

btw, I took 4 or 5 pictures and I think the flash killed my bta, he is shrunken up with the center kind of bulging like a bubble.......and the nightmare continues :rolleyes:

I agree it is a type of caulerpa, but I can't tell what types of "leaves" it has. Here are some images: http://images.google.com/images?q=caulerpa&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

KRMNAL1 - you can boil it for a few hours and put it back in, if you feel it needs it that bad. You'll lose all life on the rock, but it will be repopulated in no time. Also, I don't believe the flash of your camera had anything to do with your RBTA shrivelling up. Sometimes they do that before they poop. How is the anemone doing now?

I have to say I have battled something like this for years. Get rid of it NOW or else it will choke everything in your tank out. Of course, I'm not smart enough to use my own advice and have lost many nice pieces of coral in the process. It liked to produce a 1" thick mat that I could get a hold of to remove it. I believe I have this sp. Caulerpa Nummularia. Nasty Stuff!

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...es?q=caulerpa+peltata&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

Good Luck,
Jon

As a side note, Mike... I see you're on the West coast. Caulerpa is a pretty big danger to our coast here. When you pull out any of that caulerpa, make sure you don't dump it down the drain. It's very important that you freeze it, which breaks down the enzymes and actually kills it. After a couple days in the freezer, you can throw it away.

Back