What is this creature?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SFEERO

I found 2 of these crawling up the side of the glass on my refugium today. One of them crawled into stage 3 where my pump and skimmer are, so I don't know how he will survive. It has 3 "legs". Each leg looks similar to a bristle worm. It has 3 small tenticle looking things, don't know if thats its head or what. Need to figure out what this thing is, kind of creepy............sorry for the quality, it was from my Iphone

Attachments

• What is this.jpg
    What is this.jpg
    40.8 KB
So are these brittle stars good for a refugium? Are they parasitic? Any ideas/suggestions on these guys? One of them I believe will not survive, as he has gone into the next stage of the sump, no longer in the refugium. Suggestions appreciated.

These are great for your system. If you can get it out and put it in the main tank it will do good as part of your clean up crew. As you can see there are many different kinds. I have a lot of different ones in my tanks. They're pretty cool.

Usually starfish with skinny legs are reef safe (i.e brittle stars) and starfish with thicker legs are not reef compatible (i.e chocolate chip starfish)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd throw them in the tank. Good little reef janitors. A few years ago I had 2 or 3 of them...now there is about 50. There are legs hanging out everywhere. I do weekly water changes but every 2-3 months when I do one it triggers a spawning event that is pretty cool to watch. I took some pics and videos of them spawning. I'll see if I can find them.

Back