What is this pest?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

glweek

So ive got ALOT of these things in my tank and it looks like they are stinging my corals. they aren't vermicid's cause when you pull it out of the substrate its a tiny little spec thats attached to the sand not like a "shell" or anything. the "tentacle" looks barbed as well not smooth and stringy like a vermicid...and yes i know i have two vermicid on that frag :)

What are they first off and how do i get rid of them?

Attachments

• DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    36.7 KB
Last edited:
I've had those little worms in my sand too. Come to think of it, I have not seen any in a long time. Not sure what they are, but if they are irritating coral, I would try removing it.

Oh great pics by the way. They would be a great reference pic if someone could confirm what they are.

I believe they are vermetid worm if it has a shell.....Usually a spiral shell and grow on the rocks. But they will deffinately irritate you corals and keep zoas from opening.

Looks like a digitate hydroid to me. And pack a potent sting. And +1 on the pics....very nice.

Last edited:
Looks like a digitate hydroid to me. And pack a potent sting. And +1 on the pics....very nice.

I have to agree with digitate hydroid.

I'd like to add your pics to our Resource Library. If you could email them to me, that would be great. I will PM you my email address.

+1 on Digitate Hydroids. I know of nothing that can/will eat them as they pack a pretty powerful sting for their size. They're terrible on zoa's this I can attest to personally :( I've even got them riding around on a couple of snails.
Getting rid of them is next to impossible. I've been trying for a year! Tweezers if you can get to em. Keeping your water very very clean may help starve them out as they get their food by filter feeding. Cover them with super glue gel if you can get to them safely. That's about it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi guys I have been gone from this forum for quite a few years.
Digitate hydroids....
They can and will destroy Zoanthids.
My tank was littered by these nasty things. True manual removal is next to impossible. NOTHING eats these things. They will survive almost any attempt to control them BUT ONE

--I have found a remedy for digitate hydroids--
It WILL destroy them BUT there is small collateral damage to other inhabitants of the tank and binds to algaes.
severe damage or loss will include:
Turbo snails
Green star colonies
Flower pot corals
ALL bristle worms
Zenia's

DOES NOT harm:
Fish
Zoanthids
Palys
Crabs
Acans
feather dusters
Pods

You will NOT be able to introduce Turbo snails or GSP or Zenia's for quite some time due to the binding in algaes

This is readily available - SAFEGAURD 4
Please PM me for any questions and dosing instructions.
Thank you, I hope this helps people who are dealing with these things
-Todd

Hey Todd, Thank you for this information. Looks like that product is available at some pet stores. It would be great if you could post some of your experience with it here. Tank size? how bad of an infestation you had. How much you dosed and for how long. Maybe even pics before and after. This would make a great reference article.

You bet and thank you for asking. I spent months researching this "digitate hydroid" (named by aquarists). I will gather up all my info and get something written up for RF members.

You bet and thank you for asking. I spent months researching this "digitate hydroid" (named by aquarists). I will gather up all my info and get something written up for RF members.

Was anything ever written up on this? Has anyone else tried Safeguard 4 to kill Digitate Hydroids? My tank is getting over run we these things and they're stinging and killing my zoas. Thanks.

I had then cylce through a new tank once and no one could tell me what they were. I found out what they were in hindsight, and I did nothing to get rid of them ( I did'nt know they were a problem) anyway, I had hundereds of them. I am positive on the id. but they just cycled through. maybee had them for 4-6 months. I can't even take a guees at what may have killed them......maybee too clean water????

Back