What is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

glin7

Hey everyone, its now about two weeks after I put my rocks into my aquarium, and I got some sort of disease. Everywhere on the rocks and on the sand, I have some sort of rust, my snails and hermit crabs are doing a good job of cleanig the rocks, but when I tried to vacuum the rust of from the sand it didn't work. What would you recomend me to use? And how long is this disease going to last?
Thanks!

Last edited:
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I think some pics might help if you can get them. Otherwise, i have no idea what it is, so good luck with that.

-augustus

I would think that you are referring to cyano bacteria. Does it go away at night when the lights are off? If that is the case, that is what you've got. Any info on your tank/setup as well as water parameters and inhabitants would help to get a good answer as well as us to be able to help you get rid of it.

definetly not a disease. I would believe more that it is a diatom bloom. this usually will occur in spurts for awhile untill everything levels out. this is normal with new tanks and will go away with proper tank maintenance.

I'm going to have to agree with sryder on this one. My first guess was diatoms, as well. Also, being two weeks, that times in perfectly from when the diatom bloom should happen.

Hmmm, you mention that you're unable to vacuum it off your sand or rocks...which makes me think it's not Cyanobacteria. It usually sucks off pretty easily. Your tank is just about at the right time to go through a diatom cycle though. It's not a disease and nothing to worry about. Just a regular part of the tanks cycle. As mentioned above, pics would sure help to narrow the particular cause down though.

Back