What is this????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

melsmom

Okay. I have had my tank up for 10 months now. Things are doing super! things that should be growing are doing so, splitting etc...However....today I moved my long tentical (sp) star polyp and saw what looked like....Dead fish film. You know...when you find a dead fish, and they have that casing around them? It also looks like it has arms coming out of it....thought maybe a star fish. However there is also branching and holes. WHAT IS THIS?? I cannot move it. its firm. and it's not round, or square...but it is like 3 inches long and maybe 1-2 inches wide. then, there's another spot further down the rock that is roundish like the size of a silver dollar. I'm totally freaked at this point that there is something going on that I wont know how to handle. it's also sitting beneath my skimmer. anyone have ideas?? thanks for your help

Sounds like a sponge of some kind. As sandollar posted, a picture would be very helpful.

I cant upload anything. it was asking for a url. which I dont have or know how to set that up when I tried to download to "my photo" said too big. can someone help?

Last edited:
If you upload your photo to something like photobucket, then you can resize the photo there, if you are unable to resize it on your own computer. You can also get the url of the photo in photobucket to post it to your picture.

Hope this helps a bit!

hope this works. My apologies if it doesnt. I'm fresh out of ideas and time! =0)

weirdstuffintank.jpg

I edited your post to show the picture in the post.

I'll stick with my initial thought, that this is sponge.

I am in agreement, sponge. Found a lot that looked exactly like what is shown in the picture in my 46g as I broke it down. Also found some really cool bright yellow sponge!

I am in agreement, sponge. Found a lot that looked exactly like what is shown in the picture in my 46g as I broke it down. Also found some really cool bright yellow sponge!

My 180 sps tank never grew anything other than the white tunicates, but the 72 softy tank got some yellow in with a zoa rock recently introduced, and now the yellow patches are growing and not many white balls.

So You guys are great thanks!!! BUT....does this mean I'm over feeding? or is it just a good thing and I should go with it? Pretty cool is what I'm thinking, and everyone/thing is doing fantastic in the tank! I just thought it was some sort of fungus and was pretty shaken by it. Good to know it could be a possitive thing!
Thanks again for all the help You guys!!!

Sounds like your doin everything right. Feeding enough for filter feeders to thrive but not so much nutrient levels get out of hand. Grats.
I think this is the best thing about this hobby/addiction- always finding new critters. i can spend hours at night with a flash light searching nooks and crannies for all the creatures that are nocturnal and not usually seen.

Back