What is this??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdawn66

Today I noticed a web-like substance about 8 inches long originating off some live rock. It has tiny pearl-like globules scattered throughout. Currently, I have a cleaner shrimp, snails, crab, tiny star fish, refugium.. no fish. I did add copopods about 3 weeks ago... anyone know what this is? It's not visible on camera.

Sounds like it could be a vermetid snail trying to trap food from the water column. Vermetid snails live in a small calcium based tube that protrudes from live rock and sometimes the bases of live corals. They produce a single line of mucous that they hold on to like a kite string, but use as a sticky flypaper fishing line that traps food in the water column. They then reel this line in and chow whatever they cought on the line. You could do a search on them and see if it resembles whats in your tank.
hth
Jake:)

That is exactly what I have! You guys are awesome! It's wonderful to have so much variety of life- my 10-year old son finds new things every day..and you help me explain what they are!!!! Thanks so much!

Back