What is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishnewbie

Hello,

I am new to this website and hope this is posted correctly?

What are these little pink tip anemones that I seem to be getting a few of in my 50 gallon reef? They seem to be everywhere. I thought they were the Aiptasia, but they don't look like it. I have a Copperband in the tank to make I don't get the nuissance anemone but this he won't touch so I am wondering if they are a problem and if so, how can I get rid of them? I am running MH lighting.

DSC_0710.jpg

Good looking Majano Anemones. Pests that will reproduce like crazy and sting other corals.
Joes Juice or boiling water sqirted into them will do a fine job

We had success with a Matted File Fish but beware... they can also munch on a zoa/paly collection as well once the Majanos are gone.

i got a filefish and it did eat all my majanos real quick!

I forget the type, but there is also a butterfly or two that will eat them. The problem is, most fish that eat your pest anenome's will also eat the corals you want to keep. They are also very difficult to get out of the tank once you add them.

Like Herefishyfishy said, Joe's juice or lemon juice will kill them. If you feel real creative, you can build one of these. An Easy DIY Aptasia Burner - Blogs - Reef Addicts

Those do not set their foot into the rocks like aiptasia does, so they will pop right off the rock. Just pick them off with your fingers or a pair of long tweasers.
Its easier if you can get the rock out, then just pick them off.

yes, I have had them pop off when the filefish is trying to eat them, and they end up stuck to my glass, lol, although, mine are not that pretty, count yourself lucky! :)

Well I had some Aiptasia Rx and applied it yesterday, most are dying off with just one more application to go hopefully. Thanks for the advice and tips on the filefish. I seen one at my LFS about 4 inches long, might just get it to keep things under control providing he won't eat the rest of my corals.Thanks,Fishnewbie

+1 on the Matted Filefish, I had those exact Mojano Anemone's in abundance and borrowed said fish from Eric (eww) above and wiped them out in a matter of weeks. The downside as stated is that once done with the Mojano's he didn't stop there and also devoured RPE's, Purple Hornets, Eagle Eyes, Tubbs Blues then sampled most of my Acans.... and today a good thing, ate a whole patch of Erythropodium that was starting to come back. Does not seem to have any interest in any SPS or Softies in my system though.

Cheers, Todd

Back