What is you kalk dosing regimen?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RegalFlush17

I just want to hear some schedules of your kalk dosing regimen and what type of livestock you have in your tank that you are supporting with this dosing style. I am trying to see what is reasonable because I plan to experiment with this method with my new tank.

Thanks

Currently, I'm dosing about a gallon or two overnight. I have about 10 SPS frags, but nothing major yet.

I guess I need to add that I don't use it exclusively for my top-off, either. I also do not have a calcium reactor.

I use kalkwasser for all evaporated top offs. I have an auto top off device that keeps the sump level perfect. My 90 gal uses approx 2 gallons per 24 hour period. I also mix my kalkwasser on the light side; using only 1 teaspoon of calcium hydroxide per gallon of water.

RegalFlush17 said:
I just want to hear some schedules of your kalk dosing regimen and what type of livestock you have in your tank that you are supporting with this dosing style. I am trying to see what is reasonable because I plan to experiment with this method with my new tank.

Thanks
I don't plan on keeping SPSs, but do plan on a few LPS and some softies along with various inverts. For the most part I plan on using the two step liquid calcium when needed, otherwise using kalkwasser once every 2 months. This way I have some of the benefits of using kalkwasser without so many of the headaches.

Anne

I evaporate about 1 gal/day, and use saturated kalk for all of my topoff water (automatic topoff - nurce-type device for the old-timers).

This was enough to keep up with some fast-growing M caps (though I recently donated the largest one to a fellow reefer).

Back