Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 431 and above

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Don’t know cause I don’t test for it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
Alright...Let's see where everyone keeps (or tries to keep) their calcium levels at!!

Last edited:
Bump for a few more votes. Might be a good source of info for someone looking for a good calcium target range. :)

Usually try and keep mine around 420-425 range. Sometimes it tests a little higher.

I'd like to keep mine between a little higher at 400 & 410 but I've been managing to maintaining it right at 390-400. Seems to be working okay at that level.

Wow I am surprised at how many folks keep their calcium level that high?? I wonder why??

Mojo

Wow I am surprised at how many folks keep their calcium level that high?? I wonder why??

Mojo

Nice!!!! LOL!! :p Is there a point where too much calcium just becomes a waste?? I would imagine it would screw up pumps and stuff leaving all kinds of calcium deposits on everything...

Hey Krish you should do one of these with ALK, cause I end up testing it everyday in hopes of keeping it in check. Just an idea. As far as calcium goes, I find that the calcium levels take to much work to supplement it, so I use Tunze salt and it stays around 400. I used to use Brightwell and it stayed around 460-500 without any additives. I might go back.

Hey Krish you should do one of these with ALK, cause I end up testing it everyday in hopes of keeping it in check. Just an idea. As far as calcium goes, I find that the calcium levels take to much work to supplement it, so I use Tunze salt and it stays around 400. I used to use Brightwell and it stayed around 460-500 without any additives. I might go back.

Not a problem...Let me know maybe which ranges you want me to put up as options and I can put it together later on as I won't be around much today. You can pm them to me if you like. :)

Me too.
I test my calcium today and it was 320-340, why can't I keep mine higher? I guess I have to increase my dosing.

Well thats to low. 380 is about perfect. Like everything else if a little is good more must be better theory doesnt really do much in this case. 390 to allow for testing error is plenty.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has a tendency to vary between 370-400 but normally like it around 390. Enough for good coral/clam growth but not so much as to over promote coraline algae and mineral buildup on everything.

Todd

QUOTE]Nice!!!! LOL!! Is there a point where too much calcium just becomes a waste?? I would imagine it would screw up pumps and stuff leaving all kinds of calcium deposits on everything... [/QUOTE]

Yea calcium inhibits growth.

Me too.
I test my calcium today and it was 320-340, why can't I keep mine higher? I guess I have to increase my dosing.
Water chemistry is all inter related, I would need to know the rest of the parameters

MOjo

QUOTE]Nice!!!! LOL!! Is there a point where too much calcium just becomes a waste?? I would imagine it would screw up pumps and stuff leaving all kinds of calcium deposits on everything...

Yea calcium inhibits growth.

MOjo[/QUOTE]

This gets the lame post of the day award. :) How about the Mojoreef answer to the question. :)

Don

This gets the lame post of the day award. How about the Mojoreef answer to the question.

Don

I dont know about lame ;) but its the short and simple answer to the question. Calcium Inhibits (stops, will not allow, and so on) the growth of corals...any corals.....and yes this means all us SPS junkies to :D . Thus running high levels of calcium doesnt make sence..well at least to me.

is that a bit better??:cool:

Mojo

Too much calcium inhibits and too little prohibits, thus the reason to have the right levels and right balance. :)

I dont know about lame ;) but its the short and simple answer to the question. Calcium Inhibits (stops, will not allow, and so on) the growth of corals...any corals.....and yes this means all us SPS junkies to :D . Thus running high levels of calcium doesnt make sence..well at least to me.

is that a bit better??:cool:

Mojo

Why? Everyone nowdays runs high calcium. They just jack up Alk and MG to balance things out. So how is this inhibiting growth.

Don

Why? Everyone nowdays runs high calcium. They just jack up Alk and MG to balance things out. So how is this inhibiting growth.

Don

Not going on the inhibiting growth factor, but wouldn't this just be a total waste to jack up alk and mag to balance out high levels of calcium?? In addition to that, do people actually do this in cases where they can't get their calcium levels to drop to what is considered the right range? Just jack up alk and mag?

Back