What is your favorite heater?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim

Mountain Goat
There is only one used thing left in my tank that came from the original owner, my heater, which just kicked the bucket last week:cry: . The good news is where my tank sits in my basement the temperature stays right at 78 without a heater and never fluctuates. Unfortunately I don't think that will last once next winter comes so I guess I do need to get a new one.
So my question is, what is everyones favorite heater? the one that died was a 200w stainless steel Via Aqua with an external control for my 55 which seemed to work fine.
Since I don't have to worry about getting one right away I will do some research and get the right one and possibly a controller as well.

Any recommendations would be great (I love a good excuse to buy more new stuff for my tank):) .

Tim

I only buy Ebo Jagers right now. They are the only heater that that I have ever owned that not a single one of them has ever died. They also keep a to there .5 degree tolerence.

I also really liked the Won titanium heaters, if someone else could make them and actually make them work. I had three of these heaters in three different tanks. They were very acurate until for one reason they would go up or down by 15 degrees. My last one was a 350 watt that just stayed on. It got a 90 gallon discus tank up to 105 degrees overnight. When I unpullged it and pulled it out of the tank it was so hot that I thought the Titanium was going to melt! Buy far the worst heaters I have ever owned.

Last edited:
The Jager heaters aren't fully submersible, are they?

I wouldn't mind a reccomendation for a fully submersible. I use a won bros for heating salt mix, but I don't trust one in my tank.

-Dylan

Yes they are fully submersible heaters. There are Jager heaters, made in China, and then Ebo Jagers - They are not the same heaters.

The one thing that I don't like about the Ebo Jagers is that they are big. I think that there 250 is like 17" while alot other 350 are like 14".

I have used Ebo Jagers in the past on freshwater tanks but if possible I really like the metal ones rather than glass, I have heard bad things about the Won heaters so I agree with you on those.
Anyone else?

Tim

Jeff said:
Yes they are fully submersible heaters. There are Jager heaters, made in China, and then Ebo Jagers - They are not the same heaters.

The one thing that I don't like about the Ebo Jagers is that they are big. I think that there 250 is like 17" while alot other 350 are like 14".

Ah. I thought Ebo Jager was no longer being made. I'd be thrilled to be mistaken about that. =)

-Dylan

Yah they are still being made, the last one that I bought had Eheims name on the package as well. It was also just called "Jager". I could have sworn that there was another really cheap heater being sold with the name Jager but I could be wrong.

krish75 said:
The Bahamian sun:p

Hardy har har, I don't figure you are too worried about your heater compared to your chiller. Then there are those of us that live in Idaho.............

Me either...I just saw them one day browsing, but I usually don't pay any attention to anything to do with heat! I don't know what the heck I am doing here in this thread anyway!!!:p

I may sound dorky but i've always used Marineland Heaters. I have had three tanks and used the same heater for each one. They are full submersible easy to adjust and are very reliabel. Unless i have just been really lucky. I buy the 300 watt ones for my 75 and it was under $30. I would suggest that. JMO.

Nick

I have been using Catalina titanium heaters for about a year now and I am very happy with their performance. I have them in about ten tanks and have had no problems.

So after a week of researching every heater I could find I am going with a 200watt Catalina titanium as recommended by barrierreefcf. Thanks for everyones input. Hey Krish, do you even own a heater?:p

Tim

Back