What lights are needed for a mixed reef tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcdonaldjosh7

Coral!!!!
Alright, so this is a 2 part question:

1) I have been told that a VHO Setup 54 watt lamps and 4 lamps should be OK for mixed reef tank (I was told this by the Indoor Reef). Will this work?

2) Also, if that doesn't work, then what is needed?

what size tank?

what do you plan on keeping in your mixed reef?

i know you know that i already know but nobody else does

sorry guys. i will be putting in lps coral to start out with and sps coral later. the tank size is 72 gallons.

softies as well

i know sombody has an idea.

he doesnt want to listen to me anymore so i told him to come here and ask

If you are going to have SPS slap on 2 250w halides and call it good. You will be able to keep anything under that on a 72g tank. Also too you might want to reconsider softies if you are doing SPS. Although some might say I'm bias because I don't like Softies:). Softies are too invasive and will kill your SPS as SPS has the weakest defensive mechanism. It is doable but in time you will wish you didn't put any softies in with your SPS.

Last edited:
I agree, thats why we set up a second tank..one for SP/some LPS, and another for softies (wifes tank,:lol:)

Yeah and Fatboy can make you some nice looking DIY Lumenarcs that looks danm good!

thanks again.Did you see the black one

That is what i told him to do go with 2 250.But you know what happens when you first start saltwater and you hear different things from everybody.So i just told him to come here to get an answer.You always get one, one way or another.

You told him to come here? Good job buddy! Welcome you are going to be more confused then ever :lol::lol::lol:. J/K Great source of info here! Read alot

Back