What Mandarin Gobies SHOULD look like....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
So, due to some customer issues at work(e.g. wanting to buy fish out the display tank, and not taking no for an answer), I was ordered to remove all of the fish from my 54gal corner reef tank at work.. This included my bonded pair of Mandarin Gobies(which is what the customer was insisting he buy, for his newly set up tank tank no less)... I was deathly afraid that he would end up with these, so as soon as the issue blew over, I yanked them and purchased them myself. I just couldn't bear some jackhole killing them due to his own greed. They were my favorite fish in the tank. The male had been in that tank for over 6 months, and the female only 2 months, but both are eating frozen mysis and small Formula 2 pellets(the male actually prefers these over mysis). I swear, if fish could have double chins, the male would have 2-3 of them. LOL.

They now have a 10gal to call their own for a while until I get my 45gal up and running, which will hopefully be by the end of the month...

Anyhow, here's some quick photos I snapped of them tonight... Had to take them with flash, which I hate.. But oh well...

Male
MandarinGobyMaleFramed_2716.jpg

MandarinGobyMaleBody_2766.jpg

I seeee a pellet!
MandarinGobyPellet_2709.jpg

Female
MandarinGobyFemaleClose_2743.jpg

MandarinGobyFemaleBody_2754.jpg

MandarinGobyFemaleBody_2747.jpg

MandarinFemaleCave_2721.jpg

And the tank
MandarinTank_2672.jpg

Both of them are just absolutely beautiful :D I love mandrins! My large male past just a few months ago. I am assuming that it was of natural being that he was in my care for 5yrs, and who knows how old he was before I got him. Oh well though, I know he lived better than in the wild.
Where is it that you work anyways?

Keep 'um looking good :)

-augustus

Thanks. :) I've cared for em for years at work, just never took the plunge and bought any myself... Sorry to hear bout yours though. :( I hate losing fish after having them for so long...

I run the fish room at the Lakewood Petco.

you guys should stop by barrier reef, they have the biggest fattest male mandarin I've ever see. no dont go there, I'm going to get him tomorrow :D

Agh I've seen them their for a while. I wanted to buy them a month ago but I figured they were not for sale so I didn't ask anyone at the store about them. Well if you decide to sell them for some reason I'll be interested in them. It was a good thing you rescued them or else that person with the new tank might just have killed them.

Agh I've seen them their for a while. I wanted to buy them a month ago but I figured they were not for sale so I didn't ask anyone at the store about them. Well if you decide to sell them for some reason I'll be interested in them. It was a good thing you rescued them or else that person with the new tank might just have killed them.

Yeah, the fish in that tank were just for display.... Pretty much my pets. lol. If I had been allowed to just buy all those fish and leave them in there with a sign that said "BRIE'S FISH - NO TOUCHY!" I would of, but alas.. Not allowed. As much as I try to lean towards mom 'n pop fish store mentality, the cooperate masters just don't work that way.

Kudos to you Brie, Way to save 'em!!!

I like to live by the saying.."it's always right to do the right thing"

Heck with all the bureaucrats and big bosses, you worked it out just right and these beautiful mandarins are thanking you, I think their mouths are saying so in the pictures, at least I am. It's good people like you that give this hobby a great vibe! Way to go! I think a bunch of fellow reefers here would agree.

you guys should stop by barrier reef, they have the biggest fattest male mandarin I've ever see. no dont go there, I'm going to get him tomorrow :D

No doubt! I saw those also and they are freakishly huge, and Brie your's are amazing! I have a spotted Mandarin in my 55, and waiting for the 120 upgrade before I get a green madarin. Definetly one of my favorite fishs, but they need special care (and a well established environment) as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

its not a goby thought its a dragonet or a stink fish or a synchiropus ocelated or the scooter blenny is the easyest of the family to keep althought none are impossible if provided the right foods

its not a goby thought its a dragonet or a stink fish or a synchiropus ocelated or the scooter blenny is the easyest of the family to keep althought none are impossible if provided the right foods

Commonly they're often called gobies over here, but yes, they are not from the goby family at all. Just as the scooter blenny is not a blenny. Common names stink ;)

Some other Australia / U.S. common name differences:

frogfish here - anglerfish there
toadfish here - frogfish there
some kind of puffer-type fish from Tetraodontidae here - toadfish there (If I remember right, I'll have to check on that)
pinecone fish - pineapple fish
burr fish - globe fish
a prowfish here is Zaprora, not that beautiful Red Indianfish you guys have there
...and the list goes on.

How do you train the madarins to eat food other than pods?

ive always wanted to get one but my tank is probably not ready for them yet.. Would love to get one that eats frozen mysis or brine or whatever else..

Back