What? no razor blades on acrylic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

Sombody forgot to tell me:eek2: Well, at least I didn't do that yet but HOW AM I GOING TO GET THE CORALLINE OFF MY ACRYLIC? somebody told me I would be asking this some day probably Krish and I did not believe them at the time.

LOL!! They have special scrapers for acrylic (plastic) that you will have to use. If you don't like coraline on the walls anytime you have an acrylic tank, you have to remove it as it grows otherwise if it is allowed to build up too much, you end up with issues like Don (DonW) Ask him about his coraline:p

I will ask DonW. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I hope your tankless family is well :).

deb - if you don't have one of those little plastic scrapers, you can try an old credit card. Also, if you have a scrap piece of acrylic laying around that will work, too.

Thank you Nikki, I tried a credit card, made scratches. I am going to maybe use the buffer paper in my buffer kit that removes scratches. What do you all think?

I'd say it depends on how bad the scratches are. Are they really deep, or do you have to hunt for the area that's scratched? I have some scratches on my acrylic, but they aren't noticable unless you are looking for scratches. I was going to wait until I have more and then I'll tackle the job all at once. No one but me even sees them.

They range... remember this tank is like 20 years old. I have a myriad of scratches soooo. Help

For my coralline I use a plastic ice scraper. I also use a little plastic scaper that came with some of our stone cookingware. I have never had either scratch my tank.

dennis

I use one of those plastic cookware scrapers, too. It's hard and stiff, but softer than acrylic or credit card plastic, so it doesn't scratch. I found that holding it nearly perpendicular to the tank wall and making long slow scrapes removes most of the coraline algae in one pass.

I remember Mike (mojo)told me to make one out of a piece of acrylic by running it through a jointer to get the edge perfect. He said it worked perfect for him. I use it on my fuge now when it gets out of control. The glass display i use a metal kent scraper. They make plastic ones also for acrylic. Not cheap though.

Back