What pump on a turbo twist 9watt uv sterilizer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Ok so here's the deal i purchsed this uv sterilizer and thought it would be simple to find a pump for it. not so much. nothing really seems to match to what they recommend then you got flow loss do to pipeing distance. and they talk about max head and stuff so im lost. i want it to help fend off parasites. ive seen on some sterilizers they say to kill off algae roughly 200 and then to kill off parasites 75gph. if i just get a low flowing one at like 75gph will that kill off both? and how much gph do i loose per foot on tubeing?

I am guessing a hundred gallons a foot of flow. A ninety adapter will reduce about the same a 100 gallons. That is why its nice to have a tube bender or use flex pipe. Less angle less restriction. The longer you have contact with UV the more effective it is.

i plan on useing 5/8 tubeing. i plan on gettin a submersible pump. the inlet tube from the pump to the UV will be about 2 feet down. and the return will be about 2 feet back up. about how many gph do you think i would loose?

I am guessing a hundred gallons a foot of flow. A ninety adapter will reduce about the same a 100 gallons. That is why its nice to have a tube bender or use flex pipe. Less angle less restriction. The longer you have contact with UV the more effective it is.

do you have a sump? if so have u ever thought about teeing off the drain line and just run it off of that then theres less pumps or lines to leak and it will still be effective if not more.

no i dont have a sump. i have a fluval fx5 and a magnum 350 deluxe both hooked to it.
it=75 gallon lil over kill filtration but oh well. and i dont really want to hook it to either one of those cause there flow rate is to high. im looking for about 75gph. as i have heard that is good for that size of sterilizer to kill parasites and stuff.

With a 9 watt uv to kill parasites you need a very very slow flow about 40 gph to give you a 90,000+ UW-Sec/CM2.

If this is a 75 gallon tank you will not be able to process enough water through the UV to keep parasites under control.

Kim

so i should just keep it at like a 100gph to kill off algae and such then then? But everything ive read about this uv sterilizer says it good for aquariums up to 125 gallons

Last edited:
That is up to you of course, that uv is just to small to try and keep parasites under control

Kim

Back