What Skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kurt

What skimmer do you guys recommend for a 26 gallon tank? I know it is small and a lot of skimmers I saw are for bigger tanks. Thanks:D

First off, are you using a sump or will the skimmer have to hang on the tank. If using a sump, do you want one to hang on the sump or sit inside? :)

good grief Krish, where are your manners????:D :D J/K...Welcome to Reeffrontiers Kurt!!! if you are looking for a hang-on type......there is the aqua-c remora with / the maxijet upgrade, the bakpak skimmer, or the prizm skimmer( which is a hit or miss with some people..it should do ok on that size tank)....if you are looking for an in-sump skimmer , you could check out the octopus skimmers:D (www.aquariumextreme.com)

hey, i have a jellyfish sting!!! that is my excuse!!!!!that will be my new universal excuse for everything!!also, not all of us can try on green tights and post all day!!!!!:p :p :p

ROFL! Let's not forget who posted a pic of themself dressed like a girl here:lol:

Now...Back to the skimmer. If you are going to run one in your sump (if you have one), see if you can measure the space you have for it as well as the height. I didn't suggest any skimmers yet because I was waiting to see how you will need to run one and then suggest from there. There are tons of options out there so you will be able to get a very efficient and practical one for your system:)

this tank I want to run a hang on skimmer. My concern with the bigger skimmers is it will do to good of a job and what I mean by that is it will work for a week or two and then there will be no more junk for it to pick up for while. I'm just concern it may be havic on my tank:confused:

I know you guys/gals are getting tired of my newbie questions, sorry ;)

I know you guys/gals are getting tired of my newbie questions, sorry
most everybody here has had these questions at one time or another:D ....so do you have a price range of what you are looking to spend???? the "aqua-c remora" would most likely be the best choice!!!they are a little pricey(IMO).....if it skims really strong for a few weeks and then nothing, that is good!!!!!!..that means that there isn't any gunk, or not alot of it, to skim out!!!:D :D some people prefer not to skim heavily, as to leave a little of the nutrients for corals to feed on!!! you can adjust most skimmers if you think yours is skimming too much

I know you guys/gals are getting tired of my newbie questions, sorry

If we had that attitude, then we wouldn't be here:D About your skimmer, they will periodically from time to time stop producing skimmate which is normal. Even if you put a finger in the tank, the oil from your finger can cause the skimmer to shut down (so to speak) for a while. Same goes for chemicals being added to the tank and foods. If you get a "big one" or something rated for a much larger tank, no need to worry about it skimming like crazy and then stopping after a week and creating havoc. It will skimm out all the junk, but once it catches up to your waste load, it will produce skimmate as waste accumilates from there. It won't be as much as the inital skimming seeing you don't run one now and there will be tons of crap to pull out of the water, but it will continue to do it's job. I rather too big of a skimmer than too small so don't worry:) My skimmer is rated for about 100 gals or so and I have it on a 38gal.

As for types of H.O.T skimmers (hang on tank) aquaC remora's and back pak's are probably your best options. The Prizm skimmer I've heard a lot of bashing about. I never personally ran a H.O.T skimmer so couldn't give you hands on personal feedback. I'm just going by what I've read here. I'm sure those that run hang on skimmers will chime in soon and if not, I'll pm Mark (skimmerwhisperer) and see what he suggests. His name says it all:)

i have a prizm skimmer.....they are way overrated in how many gallons it can handle..i think mine said like (100g..i could be wrong)..i would not use it on anything over a 30g!!! it does skim(especially with the upgraded surface skimmer)..it has good days and bad..sometimes it will skim some dark nasty stuff and then somedays it will mostly be slightly yellowish....i would go with the remora skimmer...i have never used a bak-pak, so i cannot comment on it!!

I'll toss my vote in for the Aqua-C Remora. They are a nice skimmer for that size tank. I have their new Aqua-C Nano on my quarantine tank. It works great! Make sure to get the maxijet with it.

Back