What snail is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
Came with my '20 cerith snails'.

Yes, it has a red foot.

CIMG0457.jpg

Looks like a cerith in an odd shaped shell. If you have snails and crabs its best to add a few differant shells so they can upgrade from time to time.

Looks like a cerith in an odd shaped shell. If you have snails and crabs its best to add a few differant shells so they can upgrade from time to time.

Well it's certainly not the same species of cerith... wrong shell type, wrong color, etc. I wouldn't guess cerith but then I don't know all the different types.. if there are even different types :confused:

Snails don't upgrade their shells :p And I don't keep hermits, so no extra shells needed.

I had one and loved it .. No luck finding any more though?

Top was white bottom was black with a red foot.

I will say it was hardy and lived a long time :)

Where did you get it ?

No black on this one... the body is red with white flecks.

Where did you get it ?

From the pictures I've been looking at... yours sounds like it might have been a red footed snail.

I found this very similar picture of mine:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N
Under "red footed conch". The shell doesn't have the black spirals on it, but everything else looks the same. The description mentions a thorn, and I did see that on another photo of one, but mine doesn't have that either...

They shange shells if they feel like it. The red color could be from the antic lighting. Some pice under full light or no light with flash would help.

They shange shells if they feel like it. The red color could be from the antic lighting. Some pice under full light or no light with flash would help.

Nope, snails cannot change shells, they secrete their own calcium carbonate shell and grow with it. A snail out of its shell is a dead snail.

It is definitely a very bright red and isn't influenced by the background actinics. Check out the photo of the red conch I posted - the body looks just like that, down to the white speckles.

Haha, so I got ceriths today from two different places. This is a 'cerith' from the other place...

Isn't he cute?

CIMG2061.jpg

Too bad I don't want hermits in my tank :p

Yup, Yours is different It looked like it was black on the bottom in the first picture.

Don't you use any Hermits?

I never did until this year I got some emeralds to help with the nasty Hair algae I've got !

Can you pull the snail out and take a picture of its operculum, and the top of the shell? The operculum is the "trap door" that closes when a snail is out of water.

Yup, Yours is different It looked like it was black on the bottom in the first picture.

Don't you use any Hermits?

I never did until this year I got some emeralds to help with the nasty Hair algae I've got !

No, I don't use any hermits, but I will use emeralds in the future. They're much better than hermits :)

Here's another photo I took last night before I left my office. I have no idea where it is at the moment.

CIMG0459.jpg

Good call, herefishyfishy. That is part of the reason why I want to see the operculum of this particular snail. See the shape of the operculum in the photo of the link you provided? Also, note the diet of that particular snail in the description. Might be a good idea to remove it for the time being, and place in the sump. When you pull it out, take a pic of its underside :D

Hmmm - rjarnold, you posted while I was typing. I'll pull out some books, and see if we can get it narrowed down for you.

Hmmm - rjarnold, you posted while I was typing. I'll pull out some books, and see if we can get it narrowed down for you.

Actually looking at the shells a little more closely, I would say it is closer to the one Mike posted (the shell itself), but still not the same.

It is MUCH like this one that someone else has up online, if not the same species:

http://reef.geddis.org/cgi/show-photo/Red-footed Snail/dsc03297

It has the characteristic light stripe towards the top of the shell.

I would pull him out but I don't have a sump and don't know where he is atm :p

Found him! He was on the glass... makes me think he might be safe.

CIMG0468.jpg

Sorry, for some reason my camera wasn't focusing very well this morning.

Back