What the heck is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have some nasty stuff that keeps growing on my sand and rocks and everything else. Even when I clean it the stuff grows back. It starts off with only a little bit in the morning then becomes long stringy like things by the end if the day. :evil: It grows VERY fast. Here are some pics.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sorry for the picture quality. 2mp is not good at all.
PICT0007.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

Is what you are reffering to brown on the sand or a red in color? Can't really tell by the pics...In any event, if the tank is newly setup and it is brown, more than likely it is diatoms and if reddish, possibly cyno...Let us know on the coloration though and a little bit more about your system like are you using ro/di water, what salt mix are you using, age of the setup, possibly water parateres etc. :)

No prob.

We still need Krish's requested info though....

Let us know on the coloration and a little bit more about your system like are you using ro/di water, what salt mix are you using, age of the setup, possibly water parameters etc

Sometimes this happens in an initial cycle and goes away on its own. When it happens in an established system, it's a much bigger deal.

It is brown. And bubbly. Looks exactky like dino's so I think it is.
As for the tank, it is around 2.5 months. Using water from store. ( I use the same in my tank and have no problems with it ), for salt we use IO. thanks

I just got home from work and read your replies, i am sure that what i have is dinoflagellates. Thank you everyone for your help.

Back