what the heck is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jsvera

Yesterday I noticed a hole in my live rock that was lined with what I thought looked like some kind of eggs. Tiny pale bluish green bubbles that look like the tips of frog spawn. This morning I saw something moving in that hole. It didn't come far enough out to really see it and retreated into the hole when it saw me. It was off white or beige and the part I saw which I suppose was the head was rounded. I didn't see antennae
Too small to get pics

Hmmm, from your description, of tiny bluish/green bubbles, and the fact that it moves, makes me wonder if it's a Mantis Shrimp. Mantis have eyes that stick up, on stocks. Normally, you'd see antennae, but if it hadn't come out of the hole far enough, the antennae may be hidden.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. The numerous bubbles that lined the hole seemed to flatten down or mostly disintegrate or deflate then reappeared a few hours later. I tried to lure it out with a piece of shrimp. I will have to try to get a look with a flashlight while the lights are out. Whatever is in the hole is lining the hole with something. looks like it might be eggs

if it is an mantis keep your fingers away thay slap hard with there tail and you will most likly bleed. place a hermit crab if you have one buy the hole and watch it the mantis may come out and crack it.

Back