What to add first

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baker89

Hey guys couple of questions on live stock that I like. I'm curious of the order I should introduce them to the tank and they're compatibility. I have a 112g acrylic that is 5'Lx18"Wx24"H. I plan on keeping mostly LPS, softies, zoos and a little bit of everything untill I find what I really like.

Fish:
Longnosed butterfly fish
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
Lion/Dwarf lion
Goby
Clowns (2) (with an anemone would be nice...)
Chromis

These are all fish that I like and know that it isnt realistic to have them all. I am curious what a good combination of these fish would be suggested. I know Tangs tend to not get along, but I have seen a lot of multiple tangs in a tank. Would a butterfly and a tang be a better option? I know lion fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths so would a dwarf lion be okay with clowns? Would a large lion fish fit comfortably in a 120? I know clowns can be aggressive so I figured I would add them last. I would also like to have a host anemone for them, but am not sure if it is really worth it to have them running over my other corals and such. Chromis are very pretty, but I like fish that have "jobs" or do interesting things, but these guys might get a little boring after awhile.

Just curious on how you would organize these fish. Which ones would you have and what order would you introduce them. Once again the tank is 112g 5'Lx18"Wx24"H, shallow sand bed (medium crushed coral), refugium, large skimmer, AI Sol blue led lights.

Nice list with the exception of the Longnose Butterfly (coral eater) Dwarf Lion (even though small for a Lionfish can/will eat small fish). Far as order in introduction IMO/IME Clowns 1st, Chromis 2nd, Goby/Blenny 3rd, Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals in place of Lionfish ??? then both Tangs at once. OF COURSE at least a couple of weeks to a month between introductions for system to adjust to higher bio-load. If you went with Firefish, Anthias or Flasher/Fairy Wrasses instead of Chromis then just before Tangs would be advised. Looking forward to seeing it come together in whatever yoou decide.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Krish!

Todd-
Thanks for letting me know about the butterfly. I knew something was wrong with them because they are attractive and hardy fish but no one has them. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I do really like lions, but I would rather they didnt eat my live stock lol. I guess I'll just have to get another tank =D! Also will a hippo tang and a yellow tang get along in a 120 with minimal aggression?

Its always hit-or-miss with Tangs but, if you introduce them at the same time before one has established a teritory it usually fares well. Also having ones in different family works much better ie: I have (3) small Tangs in my 75g now and moving into a 60" 125g shortly. Three different families, a Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) a Bristletooth Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) and a Powder Blue Surgeonfish (Acanthurus luecosternon) placed into the aquarium in that order. For now the pecking order is Yellow - Powder Blue - Kole but am sure the PB will eventually take lead. My longterm goal is a 400-500 gallon system and add a trio of Hepatus to the mix. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

Cheers, Todd

TJL has it right. I would however suggest the Yellow Tang as the last addition.

Okay so my new and improved list and what I think the order should be.

2 small Clowns
Diamond Goby
Fairy wrasse
3 Chromis
Royal Grama
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang

Do you guys think this is too much? will this overload my bio filter (112g tank 5'Lx18"Wx24"H Octopus 250 extreme skimmer)? Of Course I will be taking it slow and adding fish every couple weeks to a month. When should I add the clean up crew? I would like to have 1 or 2 cleaner shrimp (Skunk cleaner shrimp?). Also just to clarify, Lee you think it is best for me to let the hippo become established in the tank before I add the Yellow instead of at the same time?

Thanks for all the help guys!

The proposed stocking should be fine. I would prefer to see those Tangs in a longer tank. Tangs like to swim around a lot -- they swim up to 25 miles each day in the reef. That Hippo will get very large when and if you feed it properly (which I hope you will) and outgrow that tank in a few years (assuming you get a small one to start).

You don't want to add fishes at the same time if you can avoid it, since the tank needs time to adjust to the new bioload in between additions. So the YT goes in last, about 6 weeks after you added the last fish. I recommend you protect your investment and fish's lives by using a quarantine system, which will require a small investment: A Quarantine Procedure. :)

Back