What to feed a Mantis Shrimp??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chloes Granny

I Love My Wrasse
Hi All,

Do any of you know what to feed a mantis shrimp beside my fish? I have him set up in a 20g tank all by himself but I do not know what to give him to eat. Do you think he would eat pellets?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Kim

that dude wants crab!!
like the little minthrax emerald crabs that cost $6 a piece.
my bro in law used to go down to the beach and collect crabs from there, then keep them in a bucket in the garage with a powerhead , a couple pieces of live rock, and a cheapo hang on filter...
when he threw them in, they didnt usually even make it to the bottom...just smash and grab...lol
but, he does suspect that one of those crabs gave the shrimp a bacterial/viral infection and killed him, fyi...but i think he fed him for over a year that way.

I always stuck it on a dowel rod or held it with tweezers outside its hole. Move it around a little and it would come out and attack it and take it in the hole.

No I was thinking meat from the sea, I think try spot feeding it with something on a stick or tweezers, he readily came out after the stick we were using to try to "catch" it.

Hi Kris,

I have given him Krill and it just sits on the bottom of the tank so maybe I'll try something different. Do you mean "meat" like chicken or beef?

Thanks,

Kim

Last edited:
I had a smasher that would eat brine pellets but if you have a spear type then I doubt very much he'll eat them. Try feeding him silvers on the end of a wooden skewer.

Thanks for info

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will try the silvers since I have those to feel my eel.

Thank so much everyone,

Kim

Back