What to look for in Live Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

So I have about 50 lbs dead rock coming to my door (didnt want to ship the live rock), but I am going to head to my LFS to purchase the live rock. I am just wondering what I should be looking for when I am there. . . Is there a difference between the 8.99 per pound and the 3.00 per pound stuff. Thanks.

u want the new live rock to be pourse with copepods crawling all over it, if the rocks heavy like lead it wont be as pourse and is really just base rock.

i have my tank filled with fiji and marshal island rock and its great!

Also, if possible, make sure the live rock does not have unwanted aptasia (clear smallish anenome), which can become a pest in short time.

As newly reefer says, pods are good. Light porous rock is good too (and you'll get more rock volume per pound). Also look for rock covered with coralline algae- covered with purple, red and all colors...

Best of luck!

u want the new live rock to be pourse with copepods crawling all over it, if the rocks heavy like lead it wont be as pourse and is really just base rock.

i have my tank filled with fiji and marshal island rock and its great!

yes i had got some rock once and was excited that there was all this growth coming off of it so early and it was growing so well, but then i find out that it was aptaisa and some other orange tip pest anemone, and i had to not just boil the rocks but dry them out to kill all these guys.... so be carfull if it is ugly its probably a pest, ask if your unclear just to make sure befor u put it in your main display!!

If I were you I would start will ALL dead dry clean rock and just cycle it hard ..
It should only take a few weeks and you will be much happier in the long run..
no pests no hitchhicker crabs. just what you add to the tank.

heres a new and 9 month old pic of my tank started with clean dead dry rock..

march20002.jpg

nov20001.jpg

Get some bacteria in a bottle and order pods online to make your dry rocks "live". Stay away from "live rock" unless you are sure they are pest free.

if u get some cheato or macro algae from some one there usually teaming with pods and some one in your area could have some to give to u for free.

Myteemouse, did you seed that rock with anything else over the 9 month period, or did you add anything to get that beautiful growth? I would imagine some of the algae on the frag rocks would help contribute too.

Myteemouse, did you seed that rock with anything else over the 9 month period, or did you add anything to get that beautiful growth? I would imagine some of the algae on the frag rocks would help contribute too.

myteemouse where did you get the dead rock from?

So I have about 50 lbs dead rock coming to my door (didnt want to ship the live rock), but I am going to head to my LFS to purchase the live rock. I am just wondering what I should be looking for when I am there. . . Is there a difference between the 8.99 per pound and the 3.00 per pound stuff. Thanks.

You can also check out GARF.ORG for some "grunge" that will help get your tank cycled. You have to introduce coraline algae into your system in order for it to start growing.

All you're really going to need is a small piece of live rock from your LFS. I'd recommend getting small pieces covered in coraline, crush the rock with a hammer and sprinkle it on top of your "dry" live rock to help "seed" it.

The more porous the rock is, the more surface area you're going to have for your pods and bacteria to grow.

As for pods, the only one's I've seen in a bottle for sale in the greater Seattle area are from Reef Nutrition or from Reef Pods. Either one is about $25.

Back