What type of Anthias?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lcashman

I am interested in hearing what would be the best "starter" anthias.
I understand that these fish should be fed multiple times daily, but I would like to know if I could get away with once a day.
Please share any experiences (good or bad) and all comments are welcome.

Here's some information on the tank:
150 gal with about 200lbs live rock
4-5 DSB with mixed reef

Thanks!!
Leland

need More info

Leland what kind of Livestock ( Fish) do you currently have and or do you plan on adding? :confused:

I Started with Pseudanthias dispar's and have fun watching them. However you could go with some of the bigger species with the Large tank size you have. ;)

Have you checked out this resorce?
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_fish/showgallery.php?cat=519

I am interested in hearing what would be the best "starter" anthias.
I understand that these fish should be fed multiple times daily, but I would like to know if I could get away with once a day.
Please share any experiences (good or bad) and all comments are welcome.

Here's some information on the tank:
150 gal with about 200lbs live rock
4-5 DSB with mixed reef

Thanks!!
Leland

I agree. what are the tankmates as of now?

one of the easier anthias are pink square back anthias and they are pretty tuff to keep healthy too.
make sure you do your research before you get any anthias...

Matt

Current inhabitants:
- 1 coral beauty
- 1 firefish
- 1 purple firefish
- 1 chromis
- 1 fairy wrasse
- 1 leopard wrasse
- 1 engineer goby
- 1 neon goby
- 1 mandarin

Also, the tank has been running for about 2 1/2 yrs.

Very Peaceful Crowd

Well Leland you have a pretty peacefull crowd here so any of the Anthias would be ok.IMHO. :) With your firefish,chromis and the wrasses these fish are always out and about in the open these guys will do a great job in bringing out shy Anthia. My Disbars will some time school with the Leopards so I would think over time yours would do the same... I have never heard anything bad about fairy wrasse so I would think they would not hurt. The Coral Beauty should ignore the Anthias as its a Rock picker,Nibbler,

Next big Question is How manny Anthias do you want to keep

Current inhabitants:
- 1 coral beauty
- 1 firefish
- 1 purple firefish
- 1 chromis
- 1 fairy wrasse
- 1 leopard wrasse
- 1 engineer goby
- 1 neon goby
- 1 mandarin

Also, the tank has been running for about 2 1/2 yrs.

Once a day? No. :eek:

Please don't try to keep these fish in a home display aquarium.

I fed my 5 Hawiian Bicolors twice a day and I noticed they were getting skinny so I switched and fed them 3 times a day and they got plump again so I'd say three times a day

JR

But what about this article Nick.

This a very good article to read as well:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/hcs3/index.php

What type of fairy wrasse do you have? Fairy wrasses eat the same things and as frequently as anthias, so you might have a potential problem there...they are competitors in the wild. How long have you had the fairy wrasse?

How long have you had the leopard wrasse and the mandarin?

Links on anthias for you...

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/s_michael_030401.html

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/ac/index.php

Nick

Unless you've trained your mandarin to eat prepared or are "replenishing" the pod population manually, you're adding to an already food competitive tank. With your current fish list (wrasses/goboids) , the pod population is heavily hunted as is. Adding more foragers into the fray may see an early demise for the meeker mandarin.

Cheers
Steve

Unless you've trained your mandarin to eat prepared or are "replenishing" the pod population manually, you're adding to an already food competitive tank. With your current fish list (wrasses/goboids) , the pod population is heavily hunted as is. Adding more foragers into the fray may see an early demise for the meeker mandarin.

Cheers
Steve

I didn't think the anthias were foragers. Guess I need to do some more research to decide if I can accomodate these fish.

Also, Thanks for everyone's input....I REALLY appreciate it :D

Back