What type of mat for under aquarium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I'm getting a used tank this week and wondering what type of mat is recommended between the tank and stand.

I've seen a couple post that a mat can help reduce vibrations from pumps, etc.

Is it a rubberized mat (dish mat) that you would get at Smart&Final or Costco or is it a high density foam from other source?

The tank is a 180 gal Acrylic.

Thanks
Doug

Hello DougH and Welcome:exclaim:
I've used the insulating foam (1 1/2 inch I think)from the lumber yard with good results.
But that was on 125 gal tanks and smaller.
I'm sure you will get a bunch of replies to chew on.
Lot of very smart people on here with plenty of exp.

Maui :D

Welcome Doug my man... You can use Styrofoam in thin layers to adjust leveling and some have used the spray foam as well, I use the styro sheets that are pink in color, they do me well.

I can't reccomend enough a 1/2" thick sheet of closed cell foam used as a sleeping bag mat. You can pick it up at various places for a reasonable buck, good luck!

Jason
CFI
worldclassaquariums.com

Last edited:
Should I use a tank mat for a glass tank?

Well, I've decided on a glass Oceanic tank instead of acrylic.
The Oceaning tanks do have a plastic rim like most glass tanks. The glass is 1/2" thick, tempered and pre-drilled.

Should I use a mat for under the glass tank, even with the bottom plastic tank rim? The stand is the matching Oceaning stand.

It was mentioned to use 1/2" closed cell foam, similar to a sleeping bag mat.

Should I pick up a sleeping bag mat at Sports Authority or somewhere like that? I think the foam mats are blue in color, at least on one side and possibly waterproof.

Thank you,
Doug

styrafoam is probley the best people talk about neopren which is wet suit material but that expensive u will need sumthing junder your tank otherwise u can get stress fractures and stuff

JPG@CFI said:
I can't recommend enough a 1/2" thick sheet of closed cell foam used as a sleeping bag mat. You can pick it up at various places for a reasonable buck, good luck!

Jason
CFI
worldclassaquariums.com

This is exactly what I used on my 125 acrylic & I agree it seems to be better than anything else I've ever tried. It is a sleeping mat 1/2" I got at Academy Sporting goods, one side is sorta like small egg shell & the other is flat, very closed cell spongy type of texture to it. Mine is blue, looks cool with water in it.:p

Back