What type of salt do you prefer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I just wanted a local perspective of the salts you have used, where you get it from, and good or bad experiences. I am just starting a new tank and I picked up some Seachem Reef Salt from Denny's Pet World in Kirkland that I am curing 30lbs of Lalo rock with. Seachem has a post introducing their new line of salts (search Reef Frontiers if you want to see it - sorry no link). What are your thoughts? Thanks! P.S. - I bought my rock from Liveaquariua.com (Dr. Foster's and Smith) and it's great looking!! (working on getting pics)

IO is the only way to go - I tried to switch to Oceanic and ended up back with Instant Ocean. For what it's worth, I've heard that no salt mix has it all and it has been mentioned that switching brands with water changes can be a good thing, but with IO as the main salt.

Jon

Ok, IO (Instant Ocean?) seems to be the clear favorite so far. But where is the best place to get it? LFS? Internet store? Anyone found super cheap price? WHAT ABOUT THE "REEF" SALT? Is it worth it? Nobody sees to use it or the Seachem brand. So far, I have found it mixes very quickly and I am hoping it has the high calcium and pH buffers that it claims. I have yet to run tests, but will post my findings when I do. (finals weeks - a should be studying right now!) Thanks for your replies.

I just switched back to IO from oceanic. due to the fact of without a calcium reactor it was a constant battle keeping ph and alk just right!!
also my fowlr turned into a hair algea experiment using oceanic!!!

I am also an IO user.

However....I would use Tropic Marine if it was the same price... :lol:

Best,
Ilham

Back