What would you put in a 90gal???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nanoreefer1

I have upgraded to a 90 gallon system and have moved everyone over, so far so good. I have a yellow tang, 2 tomato clowns (hosted by BTA's) and one lonely green chromis.

What else would YOU add for fish? (I have an ASM G2 skimmer on this tank)

Don't be shy, I want to read your 90 gallon stocking wish list.:D

I am thinking I would like a LMB, maybe a garden eel .....I am not really sure what else I want, what would you want?

90 gallon owners please list your fish.

Thanks to everyone.
Nano ( no more :D )

Hmmm...I had a 90gal, and I don't think you would like a wish list like mine(LOL) I hate huge bio-loads so I only had 2 clowns, 1 small yellow tang, and 1 small wrasse :oops:

Sorry for late reply, busy, busy...

I am meeting your stocking limit now. ;) That is the kind of post I am looking for, I want a general feel for the 'normal' stocking levels.

Thanks Krish

Anyone else, no one else has/had a 90gal or even "XXgal" close to 90gal. Don't be shy. :D

I have a 90gal, sitting empty ready to get put up, im going to be adding a V.Lion and a P.Puffer to my 90gal.

If i was you, i would add more chromis and some bottom fish, like a LMB or Mandarin with a Blennie or Goby too. I am also a shrimpLover

I do not have a 90 but I would give the chromis some companions or maybe some small gobies. I am with krish on keeping the load low.
PS. I also have a single chromis.

Good advice Brad, you could also add the moorish idol to a tank with a puffer, a yellow tang, a cleaner shrimp and a goby, then you could get a little clown and name him Jimo

Moorish Idol?! Are you guys serious? They have one of the highest mortality rates in captivity. These are definitely high on the list of irresponsibility. Like the goniopora coral, there are the exceptions to the rule who get one to survive, but that's entirely too rare to suggest one for husbandry.

Do you have shrimp and other inverts? A flame hawk would be cool, but would eat your cleaning crew.

There are also so many pretty wrasses, though many are jumpers. I've had a 6-line for some time without problems, though, and he has tons of character. Definitely a favorite.

Some of the dwarf angels are decent options, as well, though they tend to be hit and miss on whether or not they're going to take a liking to your corals. I had a lemonpeel hybrid, and would highly suggest against these, as they're among the worst of the angels when it comes to eating coral. The coral beauty is a popular one with great color, and should be safer than the lemonpeel. I've also been intrigued by the african flameback pygmy angel, though I've never actually researched them.

The copperband butterfly is another consideration, though the possibility of coral nipping still exists. At the same time, these don't have as high of a survivability rate as many others. The pyramid butterfly is labelled to be "reef safe" whatever that means nowadays.

Scissortail gobies have great schooling action, though they're not as bright and colorful as some others. I've long thought about a bar goby (zebra dartfish) but I don't know how big of a mess they make out of the sand bed.

One other fish I long considered (and thought I bought once... mislabelled) is the midas blenny. They're super active, eat meaty foods and are said to be very friendly. They have a pretty high metabolism so require frequent feeding. Also keep in mind that multiple blennies is a recipe for disaster. From what I've read, they'll fight until there's only one.

Last edited:
bradreef said:
try and keep a moorish Idol(not easy to do but a cheap fish).

Thats disgusting. The fact that the fish may be cheap doesn't mean you should advocate people buying them, supporting the harvesting of a fish that very rarely can be kept. Irresponsible at best...

I've read alot of your posts, and respect you, but dude, not cool...

Last edited:
What would I do with a 90 gallon tank?

Hmm... How many Russell's Lionfish can you keep in a 90?

[*grin*]

But seriously, lions are amazing. I knew they were beautiful, but it wasn't until I got mine that I realized just how gracefull and friendly they are. You know how some fish (like porcupines) can just look at you and just make you feel like happy ;)

"high on the list of irresponsibility. Like the goniopora coral, there are the exceptions to the rule " sherman

"high on the list of irresponsibility. Like the goniopora coral, there are the exceptions to the rule" sherman
i must have an exception cause i have a wonderful goni and see plenty for sale at the lfs but none as big or as good as mine although th lfs red with purple tip goni is most impressive

in a 90gal i would keep a red sea sailfin, blue surgoen tang, a japenese dragonette(if i could ever find one) flame angel or emporer, true percs in a magnifica, coral green goby, a butterfly blenny, pbt and 3 baganii cardinals

i would have a mixtuer or corals mainly sps, lps and zoas discs and only really good soft corals like the bright green finger i picked up yesterday
have fun i know i obesses over what to put in my reef tanks inclding equipment

Fish choices & Options

Great job on moving to a 90 Nano Reefer 1 I just wanted to pass on some of my fish observations and let you make up your own choices I copied Sherman's post because I have had a little bit of trouble with dwarf angels I personally have a coral beauty who just loves to peck and eat all my Xenia. My good friend Ed Hahn had a pair of Flame Angels that decided to start eating his prized SPS so be carefully with these. You have not posted anything about Coral or other Inverts. So Take this into Consideration.
Gobies are great and most are small ( Low bio loads )
Blennies I have 2 Blennys in 2 different tanks My Lawn mower loves to chew on the algae growing on my snail shells = Turned over and dead snails if I cant get to them= more snails to buy = more cost see a trend?
Bi color just is hard on my Gobies and it bites my tangs as they swim by just plain mean.:mad:
If you like dither fish that swim toward the top and and stay out look at the
Scissor-tail gobies, Or some small Anthias I have a small school of Disbars In my 75 and they are Model fish ,shy at times but no problems with my other fish in the Tank. Wrasses are cool and just do research on the different species and their requirements.. Good luck with your choices ...Jeff

Sherman said:
Do you have shrimp and other inverts? A flame hawk would be cool, but would eat your cleaning crew.

There are also so many pretty wrasses, though many are jumpers. I've had a 6-line for some time without problems, though, and he has tons of character. Definitely a favorite.

Some of the dwarf angels are decent options, as well, though they tend to be hit and miss on whether or not they're going to take a liking to your corals. I had a lemonpeel hybrid, and would highly suggest against these, as they're among the worst of the angels when it comes to eating coral. The coral beauty is a popular one with great color, and should be safer than the lemonpeel. I've also been intrigued by the african flameback pygmy angel, though I've never actually researched them.

The copperband butterfly is another consideration, though the possibility of coral nipping still exists. At the same time, these don't have as high of a survivability rate as many others. The pyramid butterfly is labelled to be "reef safe" whatever that means nowadays.

Scissortail gobies have great schooling action, though they're not as bright and colorful as some others. I've long thought about a bar goby (zebra dartfish) but I don't know how big of a mess they make out of the sand bed.

One other fish I long considered (and thought I bought once... mislabelled) is the midas blenny. They're super active, eat meaty foods and are said to be very friendly. They have a pretty high metabolism so require frequent feeding. Also keep in mind that multiple blennies is a recipe for disaster. From what I've read, they'll fight until there's only one.

WOW I didn't think I would get that response. I wouldn't recomend for others but at some point I would try one myself. they are very hard to keep but people do have success with them. I had been reading about them prior to this thread so they were on my mind. I feel if you get your sponge diversity up enough you can have a chance with these guys. some are better than others also.

Should have added the disclaimer: (expert only) If you read enough about them you will kow what you are getting into. 50+ hours of research minimum.

Also in my mind Copperband's have as hard of a time feeding in our tanks but they are tried more often. probably ten times so you do see quiet a few around that have adapted.

Wowzers, i thought these people that know so much about Moorish Idols would also know its a joke, my suggestion of the cleaner shrimp, puffer, yellowtang and moorish idol was a joke about finding nemo, but i guess some people dont know B is "always kidding"

I'm as big of a joker as anyone, but my concern was some newbie scanning through here either as we speak, or two years down the road through a search, and having someone suggest a MI, without knowing anything about the person or the humor involved.

Oh well. No harm, no foul. Stay away from Moorish Idols, they're extremely difficult to keep. :)

Bradreef and Jiddy, no worries, I got the joke :p I would like to have a Moorish Idol someday, but only when I have the time to dedicate to having such a fish, right know I am looking for hardy reef fish that have been in the trade and don't have special requirements. (like a Mandarin for example, if it didn't eat prepared food I would have to leave it at the LFS)

A lot of great suggestions here. I have a mixed reef (see photo)(All that, except the tang, came from my 29gallon :rolleyes: ) I have just upgraded so I will be a while adding more fish, so I am researching in the meantime and am letting the tank get mature. I like the Midas Blenny (or maybe a Lawn Mower Blenny) and or adding more chromis or other schooling fish (small preferred).
With my current fish (Yellow Tang, mated pair Tomato Clowns and one Green Chromis) how many chromis would you add? Is there any other small schooling fish that anyone would recommend?

Please keep the ideas comming this thread is usefull to more people than myself.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's time for posting.

Edit: I just noticed the nemo veggie clip in the photo. :p I also need my background so no comments about my crooked pluming either!!!! It needs more work.

Last edited:
Reefdaddy1 said:
Well I would put my ex-wife in it and bury it. LOL she would fit.

Reefdaddy1, that is just too funny, and if my wife caught me saying that I would be buried in the tank. :D:p

Back