Whats a good chiller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

Well, looks like I am going to have to bite the bullett and buy a chilller. Last summer in lived a North facing apartment where a fan blowing acorss the water worked just fine. This year I face West and its already getting hot in there.
What is a good brand of chiller and what do I need for a 36 gallon tank? I am guessing they are like air conditioners, are they noisy? What featuers do you look for?

I just did a search on that and saw one on sale for 335.00 that's not as bad as I expected price wise.

If you live in an apartment, I would get an AC instead. It will save you money and you get the benefit of the whole room being cold instead of the just the tank.
If you go the chiller route its best to put it in a room that your tank isnt in. The reason for this is because chiller work off the the princible that they cool the water at the expense of putting the hot air into the room. If this room is the same place where your tank is, then its going to have to do even mroe work(and put more heat into the room, which causes it to do more work, etc etc).

you know, I though about that, but I really don't have the right kind of window for an air conditioner. I wish I did, its going to be hot this summer.

Back