What's eatin' my clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Definatly does not look happy. I'm hoping you have the lights off in the pictures. Look close at the clam. Look for what would be a tiny sponge on his shell possibly yellow in color. If you find one the you have a shell boring sponge. If you can get a look at the inside of his shell it should be a nice pearly white. If it has a blue green tint then you have a possible boring algae. The algae will cause the shell to just fall apart so you wont see a big chunk laying in the tank.

Don

I agree doens't look good. No mantle showing not opening is a bad sign. Hopefully lights are off.

Good luck with this guy..

The clam has been out all day for the last two days. He went back in when I picked him up in the tank and turned the bad side out to photograph.

The damaged area is definately is not smooth. It has alot of little green spots. I will try to get a close up picture.

I cant tell in the pictures. Take a knife and scrape the green stuff. This should tell you if its sponge.

Don

Don nailed it. its a boring sponge.

there are 2 things you can do.

first this is what i would do. give the clam a 20min Fresh water dip. take some RO/DI, match temp to your tank and just place the clam in, then right back in the tank.

2nd. this is going to sound strange and most likly take longer to kill the sponge but should work. get a bowl or anything to hold the clam and just take it out of the water(exposed to the water, clams can last for over an hour out of water)for 20min or so and blow on the infected spots really well. then right back in the tank. let us know how it go's

o and that is a T.Crocea

Last edited:
I dont believe that the whole fresh water dip thing is best, some have good luck others dont. I'd just remove the clam clean the area with a stiff brush. Brush on some super glue, like paint let it dry for a minute or two and put him back.

Don

I buy my water already mixed with Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix.
Therefore I did not have any RO water... so I tried the other suggestion.

I took a plastic container - placed a plastic bag in it (extending over the sides) and filled it with some tank water. I took the clam from the tank, placed it in the water container and used a tooth brush. After some vigorous brushing, I took a knife point and precisouly scratched any small point or line of off color places. Brushed again... and placed the clam back in the tank for observation.

I wish I knew more how to identify this boring sponge.

They are pretty rare. I'd just clean up yours and move on. At least now you know one more thing to look for when buying clams. He'll be happy in no time.

Good Luck
Don

Back