What's eating my pulsing xenia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishcrazee

I used to have several nice clumps of pulsing xenia around my tank. I know some folks consider xenia almost a nuisance, as it spreads so quickly, but I've always enjoyed the pulsing "hands" Anyways, I've noticed over a period of several weeks, that the xenia has been getting "pruned" by something in my tank. It has now been totally eradicated, from what I can tell Here's a list of livestock that I have in my tank:

large creole damsel (has been known to nip GSP in past)
3 stripe damsel
yellow tailed blue damsel
pair of percula clowns
royal gramma
skunk cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
5 scarlet hermits
nassarius snails
astrea snails
nerite snails
queen conch
stomatella snails

I think it may be the creole damsel, but have never caught him, so I'm really not sure. I also have a chocolate chip starfish, but he lives in the sump, so it can't be him. Who do you think is guilty?!

It may be your pepperment shrimp. There was a thread about things that discourage Xenia growth. One is temperature, the other was Iodine too much. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Ed Hahn

if its predation... the hermits are a strong candidate. There is no such thing as "reef safe" hermits. By nature they are opportunistic omnivores. If your tank is tidy and low on microalgae and scraps/detritus... their appetite shifts.

Damsels are also nibblers... dwarf angels and tangs too (for others reading this post). Do hunt at night several hours after lighst have been out. Use a red filter/light to see more without startling the nocturnals.

Show some pics too or better describe the losses here for us to ponder if its not predation.

kindly, Anth-

I haven't a clue. Anyone of the suggested critters is a good guess. I would deffinately keep a close eye on the xenias.

Anthony Calfo said:
if its predation... the hermits are a strong candidate. There is no such thing as "reef safe" hermits. By nature they are opportunistic omnivores. If your tank is tidy and low on microalgae and scraps/detritus... their appetite shifts.

Damsels are also nibblers... dwarf angels and tangs too (for others reading this post). Do hunt at night several hours after lighst have been out. Use a red filter/light to see more without startling the nocturnals.

Show some pics too or better describe the losses here for us to ponder if its not predation.

kindly, Anth-

Yes, there is very little mircoalgae, as I have too good of a clean-up crew! I've watched during the day, and nothing has bothered the xenia at all. I have moonlights and haven't seen anything bother it after lights are out, but of course I can't watch it all night :) I suspect you may be right about the hermits. Whatever is eating it, it has some precision tools at their disposal, as the xenia really looks as though it has been over-pruned with hedge clippers. The last I saw of it, it was sheared smoothly down to the base of the rock, and now even the base of the coral has been stripped away of any trace of xenia.

form follows function... the mouthparts of the deposit feeding Diadema are designed for rasping algae, not rendering stinging cnidarian tissues. I don't believe your Diadema is eating healthy Xenia tissue.

I guess the culprit has been found :) Turns out a fish I have was actually a Neoglyphidodon melas or Black Damsel, who happens to be quite fond of soft corals. Little stinker!!! Oh well, he does what he does I guess, I like my little purple fish. If anyone wants to get rid of their xenia or gsp, just let me know :badgrin: Gosh, I thought he was looking plumper!!!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=182204&posted=1#post182204

Same thing happened to my Xenia....I had seen my Damsel take a nip at it once during the daylight hours but never thought he was the culprit :shock: Oh well, I just won't attempt to keep anymore Xenia

Back