Whats going on with my mushroom??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mjslaugh

Okay so I took a pic of the mushroom to try to get some opinions on it, but the details wouldn't show on the pic. I will post the pic, but I also drew a diagram to try to describe what I see.

The mushroom was laying flat for the first couple days I had it (it came on a piece of LR, and I am cycling and hoping not to kill it), then on the arrow on the right is where the side closest to the light folded up and kinda in on itself the way it is drawn, I didn't think to much of it until today when I noticed that there is something growing where the mushroom folded itself up. It is hard to describe, but if I had to I would say it kinda looks like a tiny purple four leaf clover.

So any ideas what this is, I really like this mushroom and with this being my first tank, and first live thing in my tank, I really don't want to kill it so any help??

If your cycling Id say you have a dieing shroom. There shouldnt be anything in a cycling tank except rock.

Don

Exactly what Don said, I know its hard to have an empty tank just begging for some life but you have to be patient:) Let the tank cycle for at least a month if not 2 :)

I didn't mean to add life so early, I had no intention of it, I just bought a second batch of LR and the one piece had that shroom on it, but wow so even though it appears to be getting bigger you think its dying?? Oh and I did have the water tested right after I found the little guy and the LFS said the levels weren't ideal yet, but they shouldn't be so bad as to kill it, so I don't know?? What should I do if anything??

If you are in fact cycling then the ammonia will kill it. If its just a hitch hiker I'd say cross your fingers and hope it lives. If it doesnt live it will contribute to the cycling process. Either way its a good thing.

Don

Okay, I will cross my fingers, It just seems odd to me, probably cause I don't know anything about anything, but is there any chance that it is something other than it dying?? I mean, I noticed just now that the four leaf purple bubbly thing is actually growing on the side of the shroom and that it is very responsive to the light, meaning it closed up to almost non-visible when light was off, but then came back bigger once light came back on. Any other ideas or is it pretty much toast??

Is there any chance it's not dying? Sure... it just could be seriously ticked off. But it doesn't really matter because there's nothing you can do. Except cross your fingers!

Back