Whats Killing my green Torch???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
I have had this torch since I started my reef and it has done very well, all of the other corals seem to be quite happy including my zoas and my nems as well but in the last few days my torch has been loosing tissue and dying one head at a time I am down to 2 heads from 7 I am very sad as this was absolutly beautiful and I don't understand what it could be? I went through a bout of cloudy water (another thread) and since then it has declined and now dying... other than slightly low mag my water paramaters are perfect. Could I have something I cannot see eating them or?

I've the samething happen to some frog spawn.. Never did figure out what caused it. Maybe some sort of infection or something.
I broke of the dead pieces in a effort to try and save mine.

I was thinking maybe if it is still alive tomorow to cut off the dead branches and just have the good one as a new frag it just kills me since it was doing so well and it is dying so fast... The water temp stays between 79 and 82 absolute highest has been 84 but that was a couple of months ago...

one other thing to mention is that when the lights are on the remaining have always come out just as always they were not retracted or shrivelled up at all just dead the next day....

nothing around them to sting them they are by themselves I even moved them over to the 26 gallon to see if it would slow down which there are 2 heads still alive one was heavily receded and thought was dead but its alive barely...

so some good news the 2 heads appear to be making a recovery in the 26 gallon tank, Chrisdafish had a valid point I wonder if something was eating it...

yeah I had that happened to a frog spawn of mines. never figured it out. I just broke off the dead heads and put the good ones in a qt tank and it came back. Now I can do what ever to it and it just won't die.

I had the same thing happen to my frogspawn. I never knew why. Then I lost a few sps frags. I had Dang come by my place and he mentioned my powerhead was pointing right at the dying frags. My frogspawn was in a high current area, and the current was tearing the tissue apart.

Could that be it? Too high of flow?

Back