Whats the next hurdle?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lagavulin

I have my tank set-up plumbed. SSB & planning to cycle with LR. To that end I ordered 135 #'s of Fiji from liveaquaria.com and got it Saturday. It looked pretty good to me but had a fair bit of rubble for the sump. I have Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate already showing. I won't post numbers because it is expected & desired at this point that I have this going on.

My questions are what to be on the look-out for through the cycle. I assume pests from the rock, (Mantis, bristle worms, aiptasia), micro algae, and cyano are going to be my biggest threats.

Any thoughts on best avoiding or mitigating my cycle woes? TIA. Lag.

Just sit back and ride out the cycle. I agree you should look for the common hitch hikers and remove them if found. Don't use too much lighting if any during the cycle to avoid the alage. Bristle worms aren't really bad either with your ssb. Keep a good skimmer running on the tank, and check your levels every few days to see how the cycle is progressing. When the levels drop off a good water change will be benificial.

I agree with Ken, it's pretty much a waiting game at this point. Really bad bristle worms are rather uncommon; normally you just get the benign worms that feed on detritus and help keep the tank clean. Just like pods, they serve a useful role in the tank.

Clayton

I see Ken and Clayton gave you all of the advice you need. Just let it all die off and wait. And since you are going to be in the waiting period for a while, if I were you and was planning on adding anymore rock (if you could afford it) now would be the time. You wouldn't want to have your tank cycled after say 6-8 weeks (or how ever long it's going to take in your case) and then decide you want to add more rock and have to wait it out again...If you don't have a seperate QT tank. Other than that, you seem to have everything else covered. Good luck and I hope it doesn't take too long because I know you are ready to see some fish!!!!

One last thing...make sure you have good water flow in the tank. It will help with all of the detritus falling off the rock.

Cesar

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Good advice. What size tank is this? Keep conducting your tests, that way you will know when the initial cycle is complete, and you have good bacterial populations. Be aware that algae cycles are apart of new tanks, and you will start to see them after the nitrogen cycle is over, but they will go away with time and good husbandry. Let us know how it goes!

150 gl + 25 sump. DIY spray bar/closed loop & skimmer. I'm on the low side with the rock but I wanted a good "base" in there & I will handpick the rest over time. My flow isn't bad but I still might push it up a bit with a powerhead or three. :)

Please be aware that if you put uncured rock in your tank after the cycle is complete, this will produce a mini cycle that may cause levels that are undesirable to inhabitants. You will want to cure your "handpicks" outside the display tank.:)

Back