Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi all,

Whats this coral ???

coralul2.jpg

Any tips for the care of this one ??

It actually looked not as green as in this picture when I purchased it, infact it looked quite bad...looked pale...got the green color back around 1 week ago...

Do see the gallery here at RF too for one of the most extensive free-image databses on the subject (button atop the page that reads fish/coral/invert gallery)

Thanks for the id. I went through some pictures, but find it hard to find similarities between mine and the ones in the pics...I've neever seen any tentacles stick out...unless it does after I go to bed....

No, Anthony is correct. The shared wall of the septal ridges make it Favites vs Favia. (Same Family, just different genus). I posted too fast without thinking. Regardless, the care needs are very similar.

Your specimen bears a resemblance to this. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_corals/showphoto.php?photo=314

With that said, there are many more species of Favites and ID'ing down to the species level is often quite difficult based on a photograph.

Haha... Curt, now you know why the care sheet is for the whole family faviidae. Sometimes it's really hard to tell favites from favid (or any of the other similar genera in that family). ;)

many reasons why pics form ID to even genus level are unreliable (if even possible). Folks have a hard time understanding this usually.

But regarding the tentacles... they typically only come night for (zoo)plankton feeding species.

Oh, definitely true... sometimes even just trying to see if the septal ridges form shared or separate walls is not easy from just a picture.

Back