What's your drip rate?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidabrown66

Dolphin
I want to find out what type of calcium reactor, drip rates, CO2 bpm, reactor media, and coral load others are using to maintain their systems.

I use a Knop S-IV Ca reactor, with just a few SPS frags and LR in a 150 gal. It's only been set up for about 9 months. To maintain my calcium needs, I need to run 120 bpm, 3 drops per second using Korallith media (1-2 mm grain) to obtain an effluent PH of 6.7/Ca 550/DKH 35. This keeps my system at 8.6 dkh, Ca 420, mag 1150 (low), and a tank ph of 8.0 (am) - 8.2 (pm). This doesn't seem to be a very efficient reactor, and it's caused me to ask the question.

A side note: I've changed the media out twice to see if grain size was the issue. I rinse out the blue coarse filters at either end to keep the CO2 from passing through the media. Also, when I first purchase the reactor I was able to maintain the same values using 75% less CO2 (30 bpm and a drip rate of 3 drops/2 seconds).

Please post any suggestions for me if any, and what you're currently using.

Thanks!

-David

I have a pico. 20 BPM at a effluent rate of 300 Ml/m The ph is controlled at 6.7. I have about 150 gallons total water a few Medium sps colonies and a huge clam load.
I dont know anything about your reactor but I do agree its not running efficiently.

Don

I'm not sure about CO2 purity, but it sounds like that may be a source I should look into. I'm also not trusting the internal bubble counter, so I may look into an external one. It seems like if my bubble counts were correct, and the CO2 source was good, that I would be able to bring the effluent ph down to 6.7 or so with a CO2 bubble count of 30 bpm and a drip of 3 drops every 2 seconds like I was able to do when I first set it up.

I've recalibrated my pinpoint ph monitor, and have new test kits, but not willing to blame the Ca reactor just yet. I'm thinking about ordering a better CO2 regulator like a Milwaukee, because my current one has had problems with the selenoid cutting off the flow in the past, and the second gauge doesnt' work, so I have to open it up until it starts to discharge CO2, and then back it off. Plus, it comes with an external bubble counter.

I'd still like to hear from others. I'm very interested in what other are doing.

Thanks,

David:confused:

Ok, I finally figured out my problem. I was relying on the internal bubble counter in my S-IV for my bubble counts. I've since put in an external bubble counter and get 1 bubble on my new counter for every 3 or 4 coming out of the internal one.

I've also taken out the plate that sits directly on top of the Korallith media which sits in between the media and the filter pad, because the plate had five holes in it for water to travel through which IMO caused tracking thru the filter pad. Now, water can flow upwards without being restricted. I'm now able to keep my effluent KH around 47-52 DKH with a PH of 6.7 which = less drip which = less CO2 to bring down the tank PH.

I guess this thread is dead since no one else is going to chime in on what they use to maintain their systems. :confused:

-regards-

-David

Look for a leak, they should be very close to the same as long as the tubes are the same size.

Don

Hey Don, ya I've looked that over, and even rewrapped the check valve, etc. with teflon tape. So, I think it's the check valve that comes with the Knop. They're made with flimsy plastic that doesn't last, or doesn't bode well with the interaction with CO2. I had to replace one after just few months, because it broke off in the reactor while trying to screw it back in after cleaning the unit. In fact, the threads broke off before it even started to tighten.
I was able to order another check valve (Dennerle check valve from marine depot) and subsequently had to shave off the part that screws into the internal bubble counter because the threads were too long, and as a result it was pushing the threads of the CV into the back part of the internal bubble counter and wouldn't seat completely.

So, everything is working fine now, but I don't pay any attention to the internal BC anymore.

Thanks Don.

Back