Whelks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I was surfing around and was at Mel's reef looking at pics. Found whelks.

Ok, I had these Littleneck clams (I had as feeders for LTA, from local Seafood store), I kept in my sump to keep them alive and extra filterfeeders. I had one left after I sold the LTA that lived threw 2 mini-crashes, lost evrything else just not this 50cent clam.

After some PO4 issues, I had some aglae issues, naturally. The guy at the LFS had some Conches he said would help, using his comp. I did a quik search, seems they may help. Got two, about 1.5-2in, Tiger conches? Well, I put them in the DT and they went straight to the LN clam? After a while I notice the clam is dead and they are cleaning up, ok, so it finally died, NP. Well, I was given this small Derosa Clam, thought I might try clams. Well, after putting it in the DT, not thinking anything of it. I came home from work and the clam was dead, guess who was right there? Both, right on it! Coinsidence? Could be? To the fuge!

So, I recently ordered some Nas. snails, Cer. snails, Ner. snails, and a few Em. crabs for clean up. After finding these Whelks and reading how to ID them, I am pretty sure most if not all the "Nasarius snails" are really WHELKS!? Also, could these "conches" really be Whelks, they don't appear to have an eye, more like snorkle. Both my "nas." snails and my "conches" have a cover on their foot to conseal themselves in the shell. they both have this "tattooing" pattern.

Do Nassarius snails or conches have a cover on their foot?
I was thinking of getting another LN clam from the seafood store to pull a "bait car" on them?

Sorry for not having pics, if needed I can try later, any info for now will be appreciated.

Regrettably a lot of LFS aren't capable of distinguishing good & bad snails. I can't either without photos.... ;-) But from what you've said it seems likely that you do have predatory snails so baiting them out is a very good idea.

Back