When a critter molts its exoskeleton...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I usually toss mine if I see it laying there.

I leave it in the tank.

Cleaner shrimp, as with all other shrimp, will actually eat their old exoskeleton and gain some iodine from it.

I see this happen all the time in my girlfriend's 10 gallon tank. They don't eat it right away. They are rather secretive for a couple days after they molt (for safety reasons), so their new exoskeleton hardens. The one in the tank will chew and eat it.

Best,
Ilham

I leave mine in the tank also for the same reason, although other people have different opinions on the matter. Its not going to harm anything as far as I have seen though.

Or you could remove it very carefully, show it to the wife and tell her it died. Maybe then she will feel sorry for you and let you buy another. :D

Why let the fish eat it, I grab it for myself, Yum-Yum!

Seriously, I let the critters do their job. Yes it is a form of pollution by some standards, but so is any feeding which is vital.

Mine ususally ends up in one of my powerhead screens, so I take it out.

edit: I need to be careful what I read in this forum. Seems like whenever I read something that happens to someone, it happens to my tank. Like the fact that I just read this and saw my Crab Molting.

Last edited:
Back