When lose Power..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jen30

I how you do, when the power off same for mi last monday lost power for 11 hour.

What you do? what recomended to do?

If a back up generator is not available, it is recommended to have a some way to have a single power head and possible a battery powered air pump for oxygenating the water. Their are quite a bit of things that need to be looked after but this time of year Heat Loss is the biggest. If your tank gets too low it can be disastrous. If you have some spare blankets maybe wrapping the tank top to bottom can save a few of those precious thermal units.

Generator would be best an also useful other things as well. If that is not an option there are a few lo-tech things you can do. As mentioned a battery powered air pump will give you water movement in the tank and aeration. You can get these cheep. Depending on the size of tank you have, heating it can be a problem with any other means then using power. Larger tanks are not as quickly affected but smaller tanks are more quickly affected and easiest to control. Large tanks you will have to have a way to heat water if the power will be off for more then 8 hours depending on conditions. A couple of things you can do is heat water on a gas stove if you have one or a camp stove outside if you can. Smaller tanks you could use the thermal packs to help heat them. Do not put them directly into the tank unless the type you get says you could do so, but you may be able to tape them to the tank and wrapping the tank in blankets can also help to keep in heat. The heat packs can last a long time. You will see them used for shipping live fish and corals.

thank you very much, really I have little on this hooby and on Monday I was concerned when lose the power. I was afraid to have any loss in my tank so far everything is fine

Most of the stuff will be fine as long as the temp doesn’t drop drastically and for a long period of time like a couple of days. Most things are tolerant of short term problems like that. There is no way to no for sure how much is too much until its too late.

If a back up generator is not available, it is recommended to have a some way to have a single power head and possible a battery powered air pump for oxygenating the water. Their are quite a bit of things that need to be looked after but this time of year Heat Loss is the biggest. If your tank gets too low it can be disastrous. If you have some spare blankets maybe wrapping the tank top to bottom can save a few of those precious thermal units.

Good post Tat2,
Other then temperature, oxygen exchange is the most important function we can perform during a power outage.
Agitating the display tanks water surface is how this would be done. An air pump with a diffuser attached can be a good way of providing this.
The air being introduced will not provide the oxygen but the bubbles breaking at the surface and agitating it will. A power head would be better at performing this task. Also it will help in providing circulation to the water column circulating the oxygen enriched water to all the inhabitants.
The best possible scenario would be a generator to fire up essential equipment such as power heads and heaters.
There are some very good battery operated air pump on the market also. These can be found in marine shops that sell boats.

check out this power supply.

it ran our pump and heater.

has master switches that will run on battery when the power goes out and when powers on it functions like a normal surge protector.

it comes with a cd rom and you can actually make it so the battery will run when power is out from full on to minutes on-minutes off to save battery power for the long power outages.

APC Back-UPS ES 750 UPS - 450 Watt - Lead acid

156031.jpg

Everyone should get ready for tonight. Cold weather in western Washington and winds to 45mph this evening along with the snow and sub freezing temperatures could lead to a possible outage tonight. The winds already hitting us in the north end and they are heading south.

thank's everyone...I still see some coral started white in the top...maybe is going died?...feel so sad. I lost the power for 11 hour

Back