where do i get a leopard shark from???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
Just wondering where i get my leopard shark from in a egg still when im ready??

hes gonna start out in a 125 gallon but i just put a 330 gl tank in lay away today and by the time he out grows that ill have my biggest tank that i will go with a 750 to 1000 gallon tank

thanks ahead of time

i do want the shark in the egg though please

about how much also please!!!

I hate to start this, but this is a hot button of mine.

Sharks, especially Leopard Sharks, should be left in the ocean or in large public aquariums.

1000 gallons is not enough for a free-swimming species of Shark.

The only sharks we should even think about keeping in a private aquarium are Cat Sharks, Epaulletes, etc; those that are not free swimming and stay under 36" in length.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh yea, just wanted to add that the only way you are going to find a Leopard shark egg is to catch a pregnant female and slice her open. They hatch their eggs inside their body and bear live young.

Please do not pursue this any more as it is apparent that research is not your strongest attribute.

I hate to sound so harsh, but, again, these are hot buttons of mine, keeping sharks and not doing the research before going out and buying something. Thsi is a very irresponsible request you have made.

I think there is a law against selling leopard sharks under 18" to protect against womb robbing like mike stated. Those sharks are found in cooler waters and should be kept in a tank with a chiller. I think the temp is supposed to be around 58-68 degrees. Same goes for the smoothhound shark. When you are ready, a safe shark would be a bannded catshark. I believe those can even reach close to 4 feet so the with of the tank should be at least that wide to accomidate for turning around. Of course while the shark can be kept in a 50 gallon while its young till it reaches maturity but its better to start with a large enough tank as they can suprise ya and out grow the small tank before you are able to even buy a big tank. Sharks can be easy to keep but research is very important.

Last I heard leapord sharks are protected. Even if a local shop can get one for you doesn't mean that it's legal. If you due persue this shark, make sure you find out how its cought first. Its not likely that the collector is going to tell you how he catchs it. DO NOT BUY ONE IF YOU KNOW ITS BEING CUT OUT OF A MOTHER. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO TELL BY HOW LARGE THE SHARK IS WHEN YOU GET IT. I do know that they are a much cooler water species and the chiller you'd need for it is going to cost you a pretty penny, unless you put the tank outside and just get some serious heaters for it :). I'll be honest, realistically if you want one bad enough it doesn't matter what kind of feedback you get on the thread, simply becuase you'll get one anyway. I'm the same way when it comes to this kind of stuff. Truth be told, if its a requim shark that you want, a leapord and or a smoothhound are definetly the best choices due to there maximum size. As the others have said, bottom dwelling sharks such as cat sharks would be a good choice, but simply put, they just aren't nearly as eye catching as a requim. Just do your research on em and get the biggest tank possible even when its a pup. When getting a tank for the shark, don't think volume size (gallons) think instead of the demension. Very very long (at least 10 feet or more), very wide (at least 4 feet wide with 45 degree anlges or round corners), and the height is not too big of a deal, only a couple feet should be fine. If you do get one, please let me know, I'm curious to see how it goes. However just becuase I said that, doesn't mean I'm condoning it.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of people confuse a Leopard shark with a Epaulette Shark. I am hoping/assuming that is what you are talking about. If not, then i can assure you that a leopard shark is a very big shark. I mean like close to 6 ft in length and is a free swimmer. So a very large tank/pond would be needed to house one.

Here's an Epaulette Shark
DC5B1A3AD32041E1A99C13806C131A51.jpg

and Leopard Shark
Leopard-Shark-008.jpg

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

According to the Scott Michael "sharks and rays" book they reach between 5-6 ft in the wild. Therefore I would assume that as a captive shark between 4-5 ft max length should sound right. It sure is a gorgeous shark though.

yea that person that said I would get a leopard shark no matter what I hear on here was correct and im not trying to be rude so I won't comment on the subject anymore for sake of an argument because im to fond of the people on here to loose any of your support or friendship so im sorry to all I offended with this question

yes to the person who posted the pictures of the eq shark and the the leopard shark the leopard shark is the one im referring to and no I did not know they cut them from the mothers bellies that's retarded why don't they just capture the damn thing and wait for it to have babies. how the heck are they protected and this is possible that's messed up and upsets me. I will make sure this is not the case when I do buy mine that picture that was posted made me want one even more. wow they are so pretty and I was gonna make my tank 8 foot but im gonna make it 10 and my 750 will be 20 feet long. I may go ahead and get a 1500 gallon tank so I can get a leopard shark and a nurse shark maybe 2 leopard sharks in hope of them to breed

any who I may just end up getting a banded bamboo shark for now but they are so dang boring man I swear

ohh and the only reason why I want a leopard shark is cause I seen one in a 265 before and it had plenty of space it was about 2 feet long wow it was nice and it was actually house with a nurse shark and the nurse shark actually just layed there a lot but looked healtthy and both were like 6 hundred a piece

I think a 1500 gallon tank is gonna be cool for what ever

thanks and sorry

even a 1500 gallon is too small for a leapord shark much less 2 much less getting 2 to breed. you should go to a publich aquarium and see how big they get before you try a shark tank

awe man I guess I may have to stick with my small fish

Before I die though I would like to have a shark tank

I herd 5000 gallon was a bit cramped also

What size tank am I looking at for a life long black tip and leopard sharks in male and female pairs????

FYI, at the Aquarium, we had to remove our two black tips from our 24,000 gal exhibit because they were too large at about 4' each. They are now living comfortably at Georgia's 6 million gal exhibit.

~ S

what about a nice predator tank with a cool trigger, grouper, eel ? that imho is just as fascinating and cool as a shark tank.

o way if I have to take out a second mortgage and buy a bigger house and get a half million gallon tank I will get some black tips and a leopard shark before I die and it aint even really the sharks I'm worried about its the dang size skimmer I'd half to have dang it and all the other equip

It will take a while but I'll be the first person with a shark, tang, and other species reef tank you marks words

I do have alot more research on sharks to do though

I believe that part of the reason that we had to get rid of the two black tips is becuase they were also getting a little too aggressive with divers. I spoke with Joel, the biologist of the tropical marine section and thats what he told me. I would think that if they didn't have all those decorations and all those fish that those black tips could have lived there the rest of there lives.

Where is vivid aquariums? The amount of gallons doesn't matter, its the area that the tank is taking up. Length and width is what you want to maximize, not height.

Back