where do you pour your old water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plack

Sea Otter
With a larger tank pouring wastewater down the drain may corrode the sewer pipes unless flushed but how much water to flush out say 40 gallons dumped ? or do you dump it out to the street by an underground pvc pipe coming/empting next to the street sewer ? Paul :)

I just dump mine outside where ever i see weeds and stuff. Lately i just dump it on the drive way and with the heat of the drive way it normally just evaporates in an hour or so.

Down the drain. PVC doesn't corrode and a couple of flushes should clean out the cast iron, and with all the frozen burrittos I eat, there's lots of flushes.

I use some of it to grow out macros for the LFS cred, some to grow out brine shrimp on the deck for fish food, and sometimes I use it to kill weeds on a bricked area out back. Problem with using it on the actual lawn is that it remains and will stunt or kill grass for a while. Putting it in storm drains is bad because in my case I am at the top of a hill and the drain empties into puget sound, who knows what problems that could cause. I hatch brine shrimp daily too, so remove tank water to do that and then top off.

This is a great time to grow the brine shrimp out, the weather is good til probably October. I put them in a large fish styro and have a sheet of acrylic to cover it if there is a lot of rain. There are also rotifers in it. Sometimes it gets so thick it's unbelievable. You can paint the outside of the fish box or put it in a cedar frame if the family thinks it's ugly. I use painted fish boxes for planters out front where the sun would beat down on a ceramic one and cook the soil.
Kate

really not worried about it corroding my drains...i just flush it down the toilet.

Great Ideas thank you all :)

I love the growing brine shrimp and rotifiers thing is there anything that can become harmfull like dead brine shrimp decaying and or other things I should check for as I have never done that and heard someone tell me it was a mess and not that easy but i don't remember why, at the time I was'nt thinking of ever doing this?

I live in an apartment. So it goes down the toilet and there is a laundry sink in the laundry room and sometimes down there.

Might be a good idea to turn the water into Shark Finn Broth???

Back