Where is my calcium going?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robert0762

I have a 72 gal tank 20 gal fuge and a 25 gal sump. Its been running for about 9 months now . I currently have a small frogspawn, small torch, some xenia, a couple shrooms and some polyps. 4 small fish a couple of crabs and snails hermits. My problem is that i can not maintain a normal calcium level i have tried 2 part add. kents turbo calcium and currently have been topping off with kalk. But nothing seems to help . I just checked my cal. and it is at 300ppm. I dont have an abundance of corraline and i cant say i have had excessive preicip. Although i did lose a pump about a month ago it was a small azoo for the sump . All othe rpara. are normal my KH is at 9 deg. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

What salt mix are you using, and what is the level of the calcium in your newly mixed water?

I ask because I was fighting keeping my calcium levels up until I realized my salt had lower levels of calcium than I was trying to achieve, so I was actually lowering my calcium with each water change. Now I supplement my new water and things have become more stable.

Another question......what test kit are you using and how old is it?

Try picking up c-balance and daily dose with it. Its how I keep my Calc and Alk in check..

Alk is at 9 german deg.
I do have a lot of halimeda growing now I got it on some aquacultured rock i bought for the fuge
i was using the Aquarium Pharm test kit but have been switching to salifert wich i now have cal. mag. nitrate
instant ocean mix when i test for cal. after mixing it is at 400 or rite around there

i just dont want to do something wrong and end up killing my pumps or causing a snow storm and throwing everything out of whack

I'd suggest getting some of that Halimeda out of there. I have it in both of my reef tanks, because I like the look of it. I do weed it out on a regular basis though. I use Randy's 2 part (it's actually 3 with the magnesium) and Salifert test kits. Glad to hear you're switching over to Salifert. Salifert are pretty accurate. I wouldn't do anything as for dosing without being sure you have accurate tests. In my signature, there's also a Reef Calculator link. If you haven't used this link, it'll really help!!

Alk is at 9 german deg.

Oops... sorry. You did say that in your first post and I just missed it.

instant ocean mix when i test for cal. after mixing it is at 400 or rite around there

Hmmm... IO coming in at 400? That with the Salifert kit? That seems pretty high - I'm thinking more like 340 normally. Other than test kit error, not sure why you can't get the Ca up. How much TurboCalcium were you adding to raise your levels? And how often are you doing water changes and how much?

I may have checked that with the API test kit Ill have to test it again when i do my next change.Im not using RO eater either could that have an effect on cal?

I may have checked that with the API test kit Ill have to test it again when i do my next change.Im not using RO eater either could that have an effect on cal?

You could have ca in your tap water. Are you on a well. RO eater?

Don

if you aren't having any real problems and no sps then don't worry about it, could be a bad test kit? by the sounds of it, your tank is doing fine...

Back