Where to get Base Rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

I'm looking for online vendors who sell base live rock?

I have visited Bulk Reef Supply and their Eco Fiji Rock for $2.39/lb and seems promising.

Does anyone else know of any other sites I can review??

thanks
Kirk

Tagging along, I'm in the same boat--looking for (affordable) base rock too.

http://www.marcorocks.com/
seems to be highly rated on many forums--but S&H seems to be a little bit more expensive (for smaller shipments.)

Marco's $3.60/lb (#15) w/S&H
Ecorox $3.20/lb (#15) w/S&H

Hopefully someone else can recommend a good 3rd option....

Marco rock is great, but i'd get some live rock for a local selling it and just dry it out. I can always find it local for 2bux a pund or less.

i've gottan marco rocks as well they are very nice, shipping is only 15 a box not to bad so far i ordered 100 pounds all very very large pieces basically i got 2 rocks and i'll be ordering more as soon as im paid :)

Thanks to all the replies..I am glad to see good testimonials from both vendors.

---------
scytale, when ready, maybe we can place an order together and save some shipping costs...I am looking at June 15..

let me know

kirk

I've seen the Key Largo Rocks that Jayson(dailydriven911) got in person and it is definatly some nice rock and very pourous too the best I've seen IMHO. If I didn't already have dry base rock I would get the Key Largo rocks from Marco rock.

---------
scytale, when ready, maybe we can place an order together and save some shipping costs...I am looking at June 15..

Sure, I'm just looking for 15-20# worth of small pieces (trying to start-up a 20T nano)--so If you're buying alot, maybe I can just cherry-pick from the rubble. :lol:

Though I'm still keeping my eye out for local live rock--so call this a bump for any live rock sellers too...

Travis.

they have holding ponds actually. in Key largo, they take the base rock and put it in the ponds. the rocks look to have a ton of coraline on them pinks and purples. should have plenty of live bacteria and pods like live rock.

Darthv247,

Ah.nice to know....

they take the base rock and put it in the ponds.

these ponds hold fresh or saltwater???

when I think of ponds, I think freshwater..

The rocks Jayson got was completly dried and from what I remembered seeing there were absolutly no coraline growth on it.

which is OK with me, as it will be base rock and most likely will be covered with non-base live rock that has color on it..

my mistake. they have 2 types of dead base rock but they will soon be selling it aquacultered in the holding pools. most likely with ocean water because they are right in key largo on the ocean.

Back