Which is the best RO/DI unit?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fayzane

I am hoping to purchase my own RO/DI unit in the near future and am uncertain which is the best one to select.

All I know is I want clear containers so I can see the media. I have a 24g Aquapod so making 100gpd isn't necessary. I'm looking for quality and ease of use. Someday I'd like a 300g reef but that's well into the future.

Anyone have opinions on Kent systems, MarinePro or Maxpure? Any advice/guidance would be extremely helpful.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/ro-di-water-filters.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/reverse-osmosis-deionization_kent_marine_rodi_maxxima-ap.html

I'm no expert when it comes to RO/DI units but I can give you a recommendation on where to look for one. Air Water and Ice recently sponsored one of our PSAS fundraisers. I checked them out online and they have a good selection of RO units and accessories at good prices. They have also been helpful and responsive when I email them with questions.

Aside from the filters inside the unit, most RODI's are very similar. Some have extra features like pressure gages, back-flush, ATO, and TDS meters just to name a few... Most all of which can be added on to just about any RODI unit later on should you choose to do so.

Filterguys can make a filter array recommendation for you based on your municipality's water quality, and I hear that they have phenomenal customer service as well. And the filter array is important because water quality can vary greatly from place to place. For instance, I have a friend that lives right down the street from me(about 4m), and he burns through filters like nobody's business, yet I've been using my original filters for a looong time and still have zero TDS. We both employ the exact same RODI unit.

I chose the AirWaterIce TyphoonIII Extreme because I like the fact that all of the filters ride on the same chassis. I just think it looks sharp.

Back