Which lights do I leave on when?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

esears

Hi, I just got a new lighting fixture last nite and I am sort of curious about how to set it up all. It is an Odyessa fxiture with four actynic blue bulbs and four 12k bulbs in it. It also has 4 moonlight type fixtures on it. It has three switches so I can set them up on timers to simulate the dusk/dawn, daylight and moonlight phases. My question is that during the day do I keep the acytnic and the 12k lights both on or just the 12k lights? Thanks a lot for the help!

Well that is kind of objective. I would have the atinics come on a hour before the 12ks let them run all day, then the 12ks off, then a hour latter atinics off. Then the moon lights on.

Well that is kind of objective. I would have the atinics come on a hour before the 12ks let them run all day, then the 12ks off, then a hour latter atinics off. Then the moon lights on.

I'm with Steve...My approach is the same except I don't have moon lights. Probably the most common way of doing it. Best of luck!:)

I run mine the same way as well. If you think the actinics + 12k are too blue, then you could turn the actinics off during the day, but I like to run mine all the time as I like the slight additional blue color.

Mat

Back