Which skimmer should I get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lmannan

Well I just got started on an upgrade tank and my skimmer will no longer work. I really want to know if there is a skimmer out there that would be good for a heavily stocked 210gallon with 40 gallon sump. I plan on having it heavily stocked and would hope that I would not have to upgrade skimmers at that time so please suggest ones that would do the job when it gets to that point. Oh and I realize that resonable is different for everyone so mine will have to be at $400 and under hopefully. I understand this isnt much of a budget but all I have right now.

I, personally, recommend the ASM G-3 at bare minimum or a ETSS 800XR skimmer. I love the ETSS line myself but ASM is great performance for the price.

I have a salt water connections skimmer. Love it, for a heavy bioload at 210, you would need a pretty robust skimmer. For SWC, it looks to be this one for $650.

SWC Xtreme Cone Protein Skimmer 250 S SWC Xtreme Cone Skimmer 250 S [Xtreme Cone 250 S] - $649.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

There is a smaller one in your price range ($375) but not sure if it is enough. Says 200 gallons, light load or 150 of heavy bioload. Could do the trick though...

SWC XTREME Cone Protein Skimmer Mini S SWC Xtreme Cone Skimmer Mini S [Xtreme Cone Mini S] - $379.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 3000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

1500 lph air injection at 40 watts.
for decent skimming filtration in a heavy populated tank or sps tank, you should have at least 600 lph air injection for every 100g of display tank,
so not only does this skimmer fit your budget, but it also provides enough power for your size system.

most of the skimmers i would personally recommend will not fit your budget.
SKIMZ SK 251 KONE E SERIES - IN-SUMP PROTEIN SKIMMER - AquaCave
SWC 230 Cone
http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtue...mmers/418-atb-1050a-v-15-protein-skimmer.html

but the octopus skimmer i first linked at $415.00 should do you good.
just make sure you have a good carbon reactor in your sump as well, and replace with fresh carbon every week.
a refugium would be good too.

Well I ended up getting the SWC 230 Cone Skimmer. Thanks for the advice Now I cant wait to get it :). Like everything else with getting the new 210 gallon everything is out of budget hahahahahaaha

excellent skimmer with arguably the best skimmer pump around, the askoll/laguna 1500,
quiet, insane performance, excellent design features, and 1700lph air injection @ 60w.
will be a great skimmer for your system.

Back