White patches

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Anyone have any idea what these white patches are? They just appeared within the last 24 hours. They don't appear to be bothering the fish. I have quite a few fish in this tank (240) and only these two big ones show any signs of anything. Nothing added to the tank for 4 weeks (trigger was the last addition after one month QT).

pH is 7.8, temp 79, no detectable ammonia/nitrite/nitrates (salifert), SG 1.025.

Fish539.jpg

Fish540.jpg

WOw your PH is only 7.8? IME you are lucky they are still alive at all. I would be raising that up to 8.3 asap!!!

Good Luck..

Matt

A high probability is that the fish are reacting to a water quality issue. I can only speak on behalf of the Emperor since they are very sensitive to water quality. The proteins of the mucous coating will often break down in their defensive role and allow some bacteria to set up housekeeping. Apparently the fish are healthy enough to effect some of their own recovery, but the prudent thing to do is look for the cause of reduced water quality and fix it.

A higher pH will help the fish in these kinds of situations. :)

Thanks Lee.

Now that you mention it, my skimmer pump did break down 5 days ago (also meaning I stopped running ozone through it). I got a replacement last night and all is back to normal, so hopefully this will go away on it's own.

Back