white pvc to black bulkhead glue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
I need to plug a bulkhead. am new to reef keeping so don't have much experience with reef safe glue's. any advice on something I can get at home depot and a safe and effective glue to a white pvc plug into a black bulkhead? the threads are too loose...cant put on enough teflon tape and the plug is not tapered is why I am forced to glue.

Tanks!

I agree with Sid. It's how I've always done mine and I'm sure everyone else in the hobby.

Good luck and welcome to RF!! :welcome:

thanks! Didn't know if the two different plastics were compatible and it is a pretty loose fit. So, I guess you just put loads of glue on so it doesn't dry so fast you can't screw it in in time then? I'm sure I'll be on much in the future, live in bonney lake wa. And am looking for about 100 lbs of dead rock if anyone is in the area. Plan to go premium so I can post in classifieds soon.

that's why I was looking for more of an epoxy. The bulkhead I am wantiing to plug is at the bottom of an overflow box on the nside of the tank. I am hoping to just plug the inside of it by intalling a pvc plug. With 6 layers of teflon tape it is completly snug, however still fails a pressure test. Hence the glue...but don't want to risk a fail being it is at the bottom of the overflow.

any epoxy suggestions...even for future adhesive needs I may have in my reef?

I think that I used PVC-to-ABS Cement. Similar to PVC Cement but for the specfic reason of ABS to PVC bonding. Worked fine for me. Got it at Home Depot.

If any of this doesn't work I say just replace it with a better BH.

If it is at the bottom of the overflow, then drain it and put a new BH with a plug and Teflon. There are some of these fittings that come with the tank that isn't compatible with standard fittings. It should be easy to just drain the overflow, if not then no luck with that idea LOL sorry.

thanks all for the advice! On the way home from work I stopped at a private owned hardware store and found a better fitting one that should be fine...but I'm gonna aquamend it from the backside also...just because! isn't that what we all have in common from the start anyway, we put much time and money into our hobby....JUST BECAUSE!

Just use an extra heavy bodied pvc glue. It's the grey brand at lowes and is almost like a watery putty.

Back